Geoff Apps and Highpath

Letter from Geoff Apps

I ran across this letter in my files. It is self explanatory. I will post it in three posts to make sure it displays in the proper order.

Attachments

• GeoffApps_1.jpg
    GeoffApps_1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7,367
Older School

As a UK citizen I feel somewhat jealous and not a little left out about the whole Klunker begot the modern MTB thing (and that it would be a tad hollow to chase down another culture's heritage) - however, I am getting increasingly interested in digging around this particularly English take on wheels offroad!

My earliest memories centre around the Overbury's in the late 80s - hence the build I have in progress - but I now begin a search for a suitable frame and the essential drum brake that harks back to the late 70s English scene (as above)...

Here's an interesting article with Mr. Apps on the subject of drum brakes:

http://www.63xc.com/dws/hubbrake.htm

More anon....

Neil

Yeah, now you're talking.

Geoff used to run an early event called the Wendover Bash, which was mainly a genteel trials event along with a sort of short course downhill too. Mrs Backdated and i entered a couple of them, the trials were taped courses pootling around tress etc; then some young wippersnapper came along and turned it all upsidedown; it was that Scott Dommett, he must have been about 12 or so. I vaguely remember Brant Richards at one event.
The co-organiser was Jeremy Torr of English Cycles fame. I went on a framebuilding course in Telford with him when the first Reynolds 531 all terrain tubeset came out and built a frame copying the early Rocky Mountain style. Photos soon :D

After reading this I remember I had some pictures of Geoff Apps's bikes, here's a pic of the 'Dingbat' described as 'a highly specialized trials machine, built to individual specification' - 'a sort of trials Highpath....'

GeoffAppsDingbat.jpg

:)

I found this ad for Cleland Bicycles in a 1983 issue of the Fat Tire Flyer. It only ran one time, and it was probably hopeless to try to market that style of bike in the United States, but it does put a nice date stamp on their marketing.

Attachments

• Cleland_ad.jpg
    Cleland_ad.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 3,985
Let's offroad

I definitely want one of those!

Interesting marketing pitch for the times - ecological/naturalist rather than racing or athleticism.

Mr K

Bash

Anyone know if the Wendover Bash is running this December - it's a 'must do' for me if I can find out anything about it...?!

Mr K

Back