Clamp & Braze-on Derailleur Query

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
I recently bought a frame with a braze-on front derailleur mounting point.

Sadly, all my spare front derailleurs are fitted with a clamp (band); what I would like to know is - if you take off the clamp do you then have a braze-on derailleur ? (I was hoping to convert/use a band-on Mavic 860 front derailleur).

I know that some braze-on front derailleurs can be modified to be the clamp-on type, but can this apply the other way ?

Thank you

Normally you cannot remove the clamp part, as the pivot points are part of one side of the clamp.

If the complete clamp band is removable it sounds like you have one of the converters already fitted. :?

I now require a braze-0n front derailleur; this will be used with a 7 speed cassette and downtube shifters.

Will any braze on derailleur do ? Some I've seen for sale, say they are 9 or 10 speed - would they work okay ?

I think the 9/10 speed have a slightly narrower cage because the chain is narrower. I guess you might need to trim the front mech a bit more often but I can't see there being any other problems.
I've only gone the other way round and used an old front mech with a 9 speed chain and there were no issues there.

Mark.

I used a Campag Record 10s on a lightweight MTB build with 7/8 speed chain. It was fine, although I used thumbies. Indexing is tricky as the narrower cage is more finicky onr rubbing (as said).

Back