WTB Phoenix

utahdog2003":siweyhey said:
Another MTBR'er made the comment that the fork looked short, which I don't see as accurate, but I want to give this thing the fair shake it deserves so I thought I'd ask, before I shoot an email to Mr. Potts himself. The frame is suspension corrected, and I have a 410mm a-to-c fork on the thing. Anyone know off-hand what the fork length should be for a 1997 Phoenix? I can't imagine a 440 on the thing, as I think that would make it handle like a bus, but then again, I'm used to EWR geometry which others would consider twitchy. Previous owner ran a yellow Judy SL.

The 410 feels very natural, and I didn't need any time at all to really dial up some speed and put it through its paces in NC two weeks ago. I guess either way, the 410 stays, but it would be nice to know that I'm running the thing as designed.

Anyone?

From the first picture you posted of the build it looks about right. If you measure the bottom bracket height and compare it to the stock height which off hand I think is 11.5" or 11 5/8" that would give you a good idea how much the front of the bike is/isnt raised from stock.

WTB benefited from the weekend's wheel building marathon also, 7 wheels in two days! M910 XTR hubs and Sunsets, all NOS. The M950s were just too *yawn*. Silver M910s are beautiful hubs, prettiest Shimano ever made IMHO. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_6135.JPG
    IMG_6135.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_6134.JPG
    IMG_6134.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_6128.JPG
    IMG_6128.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_6126.JPG
    IMG_6126.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,422
cyclesoflife":2m3b5oyn said:
utahdog2003":2m3b5oyn said:
Another MTBR'er made the comment that the fork looked short, which I don't see as accurate, but I want to give this thing the fair shake it deserves so I thought I'd ask, before I shoot an email to Mr. Potts himself. The frame is suspension corrected, and I have a 410mm a-to-c fork on the thing. Anyone know off-hand what the fork length should be for a 1997 Phoenix? I can't imagine a 440 on the thing, as I think that would make it handle like a bus, but then again, I'm used to EWR geometry which others would consider twitchy. Previous owner ran a yellow Judy SL.

The 410 feels very natural, and I didn't need any time at all to really dial up some speed and put it through its paces in NC two weeks ago. I guess either way, the 410 stays, but it would be nice to know that I'm running the thing as designed.

Anyone?

From the first picture you posted of the build it looks about right. If you measure the bottom bracket height and compare it to the stock height which off hand I think is 11.5" or 11 5/8" that would give you a good idea how much the front of the bike is/isnt raised from stock.

Right you are. The bottom bracket is right where it should be, so I'm good. :cool:

UPDATE.

Going strong. I added a purple salsa clamp for a bit of humor. I'm not a fan of purple, and my less retro riding mates alwasy tease me on my taste in bikes. So here a big purple fork in your eye, fellas! :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_6284small.JPG
    IMG_6284small.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 576
nice bike!

Nice to see Altek brakes, the levers are more common (also rare) but the brakes: not seen a lot!

Bytheway: XTR 950 hubs are essential the 910 hubs in a new color. I agree, the 910's are much nicer than the 950's...!

Nice build. I just picked up a Phoenix SE and will start getting it sorted soon. Might turn here for some inspiration.

mkozaczek":37imunwl said:
Nice build. I just picked up a Phoenix SE and will start getting it sorted soon. Might turn here for some inspiration.

if you've got another set of black arms to match the ones on the back we should talk

:)

Back