GT Zaskar 20th Anniversary

02gf74":3no475fd said:
nice silver - red theme going on there.

the bolts for the rear brake adapter could do with shortening.
Yes, already done. That was just a pic shot during the build when I only had the M6x 25mm caphead bolts that came with the brakes and just wanted to hold the caliper in place. Thanks to a mate of mine, I changed them for M6 x 16mm and now its a nice neat fit.

mfh126":1not5p4d said:
That looks nice. You ought to swap out the yellow decals for the red ones to match the red theme you've got going there. Here's my '92 with a few red bling parts...
A very nice '92. Looks in damn good nic.

Your right, i've got 3 extra sets of decals and one set is red. Will get round to it.

the great roberto":2iltjufe said:
Nice build. I wonder how much GT would charge for this if they built it ?
Why did the headset not fit ? Was it a problem with the hope or with the frame ?

Your views on these re-issued zaskar frames please ?
I'm surprised they had integrated headsets ? And integrated seat post clamps ?
I'd have thought GT would have re-issued say a 1992 style frame.
The frame looks like what a zaskar frame would look like if GT were to make a 6061 frame now rather than a "re-issue"

Anyway, nice,no expence spared build.
Now go and get it dirty.

Unknown to me at the time there are several types of integrated headset
The HOPE integrated was a perfect fit for diameter and the bottom bearing was fine. However the Top bearing was too deep at 9mm. Cane Creek integrated format uses a 7mm depth of top bearing.
So Bought a Cane Creek and it fitted fine. Wish GT provided the information with the frame, but no. Nothing on their website either.

Seatpost clamp that came with the frame is a GT ali one. Not integrated. I replaced this with one from HOPE, and fits just fine.

My views on these reissued frames?
Well in truth its about as retro as an iPad. Effectively it is a modern GT Zaskar in terms of dimensions, integrated headset, BB width (68mm) and headtube angle set up for a 100mm travel front fork. But with v brake bosses, narrow capacity for the rear wheel (2.1" is pushing it); BTW Note not all 20th ann frames come with v brake bosses! Some early in production of the 500 only had the IS disc mount on the rear. So if you ever want to buy one second hand and want to run v brakes, check first.
So yes Roberto, you are exactly right. This is a moderm GT frame. Only instead of making it in Kinesis Superlight in Taiwan, its made from 6061 Ali in the USA.
Having said that, I'm really happy with it. It makes a great bike which is fantastic to ride. Just puts a smile on my face when I get out on it. :D

gm1230126":13j4fwc6 said:
Ritchey Integrated headsets work in the Re-Issue frames also.
Yeah, Thanks, found out that Ritchey, and Token Omega-1 are all Cane Creek compatible. As long as its an IS-3 format it will fit.

From your signature looks like your own your own GT bike shop :cool:

mikeekim89":3jotfx0p said:
Server changed, Pics are there, All is well ;)

I think you should sell me that :cool:

Sell it? Umm... no, or at least not for some time. I'm going to enjoy riding it myself :D

mfh126":3asmcokl said:
That looks nice. You ought to swap out the yellow decals for the red ones to match the red theme you've got going there. Here's my '92 with a few red bling parts...

I can tell from your very nice pic that yours is an original and not the reissue frame. Headset press in cups is the give away and Chris King still claim this is best type of headset.

The other clue is the angle of the top tube. Its much closer to horizontal on early Zaskars. The rake/angle gets more pronounced through the 90's to the current style. Anyone know why GT changed the "winning geometry"?

I think the newer " more sloping" top tubes look better. As well as giving better stand over.

My 16" zaskar looked nothing like the 19"( albeit smaller). Even the 18" only has a small slope to the top tube. Compare that with a similar aged m2 stumpy and you'll see what i mean.
Maybe GT would have been better off just changing the dimensions and leaving the rest of the modern "improvements" such as integrated headset,68mm BB alone.

Flat Lander wrote:

I'm really happy with it. It makes a great bike which is fantastic to ride. Just puts a smile on my face when I get out on it. :D

Which is what its all about isn't it. Enjoy it Flat Lander, great build. :cool:

Latest posts

Back