1993 Marin Palisades Trail

I would throw it up the tip :LOL: :LOL:

only kidding,you could always ss it or put road bike bars on it I suppose :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hi - I'd be really interested to see how this goes as I have the very same bike in the same state in the shed - I've had it since I was 14. When I do get round to it ;), it'll be my first one. All the best.

that's a great colour. Just bought a pine mountain and a team marin. Both in good condition and supposed to be better frames than yours, but I like the colour of your frame better than mine...

Hi

First post here, I found this thread via google. I thought you guys might like to see this. As a committed roadie this is now my winter ride. I got it as an 11 year old in 1993. I was ebaying for an older frame to do up and learn on, and remembered this was in the shed. Every screw and bolt on every component has been taken apart cleaned and re-greased, including headset and hub bearings. I had to replace 2 cables and the BB. Everything else is as bought (except the tyres and rack, I still got the Marin light tyres for rides in the snow) My teenage bike skills extended to using ALOT of grease everywhere including in the frame tubes, a bugger to get off but has done a great job preserving everything. I removed the 'Palisades Trail' transfers as they were peeling. Was this a bad idea? I had planned to put road bars on it, but now want to keep it as it was/is.

I would be pissed to have this nicked now, what would be the insurance value/cost to buy a replacement? Any guess would do. Also this was bought in the states, any idea to the original cost? - it seems a rather nice bike to buy an 11 year old, my Dad can't remember the cost. :roll:

Also the BB was threaded in the correct sense but the side I expected on the drive side was on the non-drive side. Is this an Americanism or just the way things were done in '93?

P1010132.jpg

It feels big at 29 yrs! To be honest it would be better with a shorter stem and 172.5 cranks. But it's meant to be a zero spend project.

Some cheap Shimano BBs were like that back then - cartridge body on the non-drive side and the adaptor cup on the drive side. I can't remember for the life of me what they were called........ LP26 maybe? (or LP30)??

ps/edit - LP26s were adjustable - if you had the proper (and expensive) Park tool to do it.

Back