powder coat or not ?

I think this dude computerbitz wins the award for most posts in the shortest amount of time (250 in one month). Thats some serious retro squawking.

10-11 years worth of bike history to catch up on and only way to do it is ask questions, didnt realise there was a limit on posts, i work for myself from home repairing computers so i spend a lot of time sat in front of mine is it a crime

I think he's impressed by your keenness on rather than having a pop.
Lets be honest this is far more fun than work :D
Unless you have a very cool job of course
Type in "New York bike Messangers" on youtube :D now they have a cool (albeit crazy) job.
Fixed wheel , no brakes, oh yes!

Hey when i sorted out the bikes the way i want them and i feel a little fitter on it i plan on taking my 8 and 11 year old kids out with me so i wanna make sure i know all i need to know and more to ensure that they are safe whil out aswell as me. wasnt having a pop back at him just pointing out that i sit on a computer all day as i work for myself thats good in the sence that i can do what i want but bad in the sence that when i got no work its skint time

Really want to get back to teching computers again but no one taking on at the mo so it this for me at the mo.

ameybrook":dqbkdwtl said:
I think this dude computerbitz wins the award for most posts in the shortest amount of time (250 in one month). Thats some serious retro squawking.

And hey this is 250 i was 247 back then, its like this i got questions, questions, questions and i am like a kid in a candy store at the mo :D :LOL: :D

Powder coating or Stove enamelling?
I have noticed there is a lack of knowledge about powder coating on many forums. I have a powder coating company, and I would like to powder coat all your frames. Knowing other companies will benefit from my efforts, I would rather spread helpful information about powder coating in a factual way, rather than hard sell, which is rightly frowned upon in forums.
Hopefully you will find it useful and be wiling to try a better method of painting your frame. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
I have copied the following from one of the pages on my site. If you want to know how to prepare your frame for powder coating then you might like to go on this link.
http://www.windridge.co.uk/content.php/410

What is the difference between powder coating and Stove enamelling?
Windridge Coatings used to apply stove enamelling, but stopped because of the following. If the following reason where good enough commercial reasons for us to move to powder coating, you may feel the same.
Stove enamelling
Stove enamelling is like any normal air-drying paint, but the curing is accelerated by stoving at 120 degrees Celsius. It is sprayed with the sort of spray guns you would expect to see spraying a car in a garage.
Excellent finishes can be achieved as each coat can be flattened (rubbed down smooth prior to the next coat, this reduces orange peel).
It is easier to mask and paint over with a different colour, something very difficult to achieve with powder coating.
Powder Coating
Application equipment for powder coating is more expensive. The gun alone can cost £4500. The paint is purchased as a powder, hence the name. It is temporarily stuck to the metal with an electrostatic attraction. (In the same way as you rub a balloon on your jumper and watch it stick to a wall, the granules of powder stick to the work piece). The oven is more expensive because it has to heat the component to about 200 degrees Celsius.

Why is powder coating better?
Powder coating done properly is tougher than stove enamelling. This means it will take more of a beating.
There are no solvents used during the application and so it is environmentally greener.
It produces a more waterproof barrier than liquid paint (for comparable thickness) and therefore offers better protection against corrosion.
To hide metal imperfections, a Powder coating finish can achieve in three coats, what stove enamelling requires in 10 or more coats.
Therefore the price is comparable, or even cheaper than stove enamelling.
Powder coating does not scratch or mark any easier than enamelling.
Powder coating can be compounded, polished and waxed like any other paint.

Where can I get a good powder coating job done?
It is another case of you get what you pay for. The powder coating industry suffers from the cowboy element just like any other industry.

Only go to a company that will ensure the component is grit blasted.
Ideally the frame should be chemically pre-treated to reduce corrosion.
One coat of powder is not enough it should have a primer.
Do not allow an aluminium frame to be stripped of a powder coating by blasting alone. It will end up pitted.
It must be chemically stripped first.
If in doubt ask to see some of their work.

IMHO powder coat finishes tend to look cheap and dont adhere aswell as 2K paint..

Personally I'd paint the parts, and if you want a satin finished I'd add some matting agent to the paint before spraying.

Back