1994 Stumpjumper grey green

Rich Aitch

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'd wanted one of these ever since I saw an advertisement for one when I was fifteen.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118543

It was a real contrast to the sort of bikes that you could buy at the time, as it was still the "Day-glo years". But this was a bike in Morris Minor-Traveller green with matching grey tyres, saddle and bars. It was the first time that I'd realized that you should consider how the whole bike should look rather than just throwing cool stuff at it and see which bits stuck. Very understated.

I never saw a green Stumpjumper in the metal but it inspired me to repaint and grey tyre my own Peugeot and I kept the magazine ad on various bedroom walls over the years.

Earlier this year I brought Woody's 1994 Stumpjumper. I'm still looking for bits and pieces for it. It's a lovely bike to ride but very long compared to other bikes of a similar size- look at the length of that top tube- something which is magnified by the long stem. So I've got an eye open for a shorter stem in silver. I could put it in the garage but I keep it in the hall so that I can gaze at it every time I need to squeeze passed it!

It's not original, it didn't have the Specialized perforated grey saddle or the Specialized Autopilot Comp grips, as these are all incredibly rare now. Woody had also rebuilt the back wheel with a Mavic rim re-enforced with eyelits- no expense spared there!

Specicalized Specs:

Specs, square brackets show equipment as brought that has been replaced

Frame: Tange Prestige chrome moybdenum steel, vertical dropouts.

Fork: "Specialized Direct Drive" rigid uni-crown chromoly, vertical dropouts.

Headset: Modus H511 [Not original spec]

Stem: [1" Controltech aheadset style] 1 1/18th Specialized cold forged aluminium, silver.

Handlebar: Specialized aluminium

Grips: Specialized autopilot Comp II- originals found on Ebay in North America.

Brakes: Shimano Deore LX

Brake Pads: New, no manufacturers label.

Brake Cables: Unknown, black sheathing

Cantilever cable hangers:
Silver aluminium spacer/ collar with a cable tab on it, no brand [Front].
Cable sheath stop on top tube by the headset, with tiny diameter cable guide pipe around the seat pillar release [Rear]
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore LX

Shifters: Shimano Deore LX

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX

Derailleur Cables: Black sheathing, routed under bottom bracket

Cassette: 7 speed, 11 to 28 teeth, Shimano.

Chain: Unknown

Cranks: Silver, Deore LX

Crank Bolts: Steel allen head.

Chainrings: Shimano Deore LX 22, 32, 42 teeth

Chainring bolts:Allen head

Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN51 cartridge 73mm spindle.

Pedals: [Specialized black caged, resin centres], System EX EM9d pedals with black annodized cages and silver centres.

Hub Skewers: Shimano, with black plastic encased nuts.

Rims: Specialized Z21 aluminium alloy 32 spokes [front],
Mavic M231 with re-enforced eyelits [rear]

Hubs: Shimano Deore LX parallax

Nipples: dunno!

Spokes: Stainless Steel 14 guage Wheelsmith [Front] DT Swiss [Back]

Tyres: Grey/ skinwall Continental Cross Country 26x 1.5 rear and Specialized Pro-Control/ S 26x 1.95 Umma Gumma compound on front.

Tubes: 26x1.5 Presta valve- on account of the narrow valve holes in the rims

Saddle: Charge Spoon, Grey with white chromoly rails.

Seatpost: Aluminium, no markings

Seatpost Binder: Microadjustable, two bolts, looks like the Tahoma Sonne II shown in the catalogue

Weight: 2s 2lb.

Attachments

• Stumpy1.JPG
    Stumpy1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 10,982
1994 Stumpjumper green paint

I'd offered to take some colour corrected frame pictures for SStumpjump as he was minded to repaint his non green Specialized in Stumpjumper green.

I thought here would be a good place to post them for anybody else who wants to have this colour paint made up. They look darker than in real life because they are displaying using cyan, magenta and yellow- the ink that colour printers use- rather than red, blue and green as used by computer monitors. In theory when anybody prints these pictures they will automatically print in the exact real life shade to the bike frame so that a paint shop can scan them and then make up a batch of paint.

Attachments

• a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW.JPG
    a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 10,948
  • a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW 6.JPG
    a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW 6.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 10,942
  • a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW 5.JPG
    a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW 5.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 10,937
  • a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW 2.JPG
    a1994 STUMPY CYAN MAGENTA AND YELLOW 2.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 10,936
I remember selling a few of these BITD (they came with the Grey Umma Gumma tyres IIRC?)

I always thought that the colour was sort of a military green drab - you are right that it does not look the same on a computer screen. Nice bike with a fantastically responsive frame.

Ade

Glad you're happy with it Rich , i think you're doing the right thing with the stem.It was abit of a stretch for me! Get some umma gumma's on it and it will look sweet. Enjoy it bud :cool:

Thanks! I'll definitely use those pictures for a colormatch!
As I recall, the bike originally had a silver Specialized ahead stem, with a small logo-decal on top, and two-bolt faceplate. Could that be true?

Cheers,

Ulrich

great looking bike. always wanted one too.

get some umma gummas on it. Or amber wall black tyres. will suit it so much more than all black tyres on silver rims.

Some bikes suit black components, some silver. I think these are silver comp bikes. As they were sold.

:)

As I recall said:
SStumpjump

The catalogue says that the aheadstem came from a company called Tahoma but I don't know if it was logoed or not. On my copy of the 1994 ad- there's a link at the top of the thread- it looks like there is a single bolt that "Nips up" and secures the handlebars rather than two bolts holding a removable plate. Is this what is meant by a faceplate? But the bike in the advertisement could have been a pre-production model or different length stems could have had slightly different fastenings. Any ideas anybody?

At the moment it's got a Kenda grey back tyre and a Continental Cross Country grey skinwall front- just visible in one of the colour matching photos- I think skinwalls or amberwalls are what is needed here as single colour tyres seem to look too massive on it. Still tinkering with bits and pieces from other bikes to see what goes right.

Rich Aitch":32xbx0ov said:
SStumpjump

The catalogue says that the aheadstem came from a company called Tahoma but I don't know if it was logoed or not. On my copy of the 1994 ad- there's a link at the top of the thread- it looks like there is a single bolt that "Nips up" and secures the handlebars rather than two bolts holding a removable plate. Is this what is meant by a faceplate? But the bike in the advertisement could have been a pre-production model or different length stems could have had slightly different fastenings. Any ideas anybody?

At the moment it's got a Kenda grey back tyre and a Continental Cross Country grey skinwall front- just visible in one of the colour matching photos- I think skinwalls or amberwalls are what is needed here as single colour tyres seem to look too massive on it. Still tinkering with bits and pieces from other bikes to see what goes right.

Well I have one 93' silver stumpy and they originally came with an quill steel silver stem with an single bolt at the faceplate that I already keep with me but when I changed the futureshock and threaded headset they came with for an judy xc and an aheadset I get an specialized titanium cast ahead stem with 2 bolt faceplate...

Back