Can anyone identify my Rossin?

Fairyglass

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I leased some storage for my business a couple of weeks ago, and inside amongst a load of junk was this:
rossin.jpg

It's a Rossin Quadra, equipped mostly with 8spd Ultegra, and a smattering of 105. It's been stood for some time, and I've bunged a set of tubs, cables and some old bar tape on temporarily, but it really needs taking back to metal and starting again- there's lots of patches of surface rust, with bubbling prevalent also. I've yet to check inside, but the down tube bottle bosses did not have bolts in, so there's a good chance of water in the BB.
There's a number 57 stamped on the BB, and a number 23 stamped on the unbranded dropouts. The frame sticker is mostly illegible but I can read Columbus and the end of a word: ...RIX.
I've done a bit of searching, but would love any info on the bike- likely age, the tubing, the position in the range at the time, whether it was likely to have been supplied as a bike or frame only- if anyone has any knowledge they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it. I'm not going to sell it- I had a Bianchi which was a little too big, so I sold that and will restore this as it's the right size for me!
Many thanks in advance,
Ben

That's good info, thanks- it's great to see my frame in its original glory! The colours on my bike are very faded compared to that (and yours) and there's quite a few scratches and rust patches, so at some point I'll probably go for a frame renovation- I'll try to keep to the original colours though and grab some decals to make it look new!
Cheers,
Ben

Rossin renovation

Might like to try this...?

first remove wheels and anything else you can.

Wash down thoroughly with loads of good carwash that contains a wax and leather off.
Use a FINE T-Cut scratch remover, put it on with damp cloth and let is dry, then polish of with dry dusters.

Any rust spots try and pick off with a pointy thing like an awl then rub smooth with 600 grit paper, then 1200 grit , you can be really nerdy and glue strips to wooden coffee strirrers so as not to damage the surrounding good paint work, you'll probably be able to match the damaged areas with Humbrol enamels and a fine brush, building up layers and flatting down with fine 600 and then 1200 grit paper used wet with soap. When its gone hard, T Cut and then use a few applications of good car wax....

That's what I did to The Rossin, it was quite scrappy before, you'll be surprised how much of an improvement you'll get AND it'll be original !

Check out this guy's work...inspirational! ( and VERY nerdy!! )

http://www.raydobbins.com/pantografata/ ... ouchup.htm

I've cleaned it pretty thoroughly already, but the big problem is that it was stood outside for some time, and at least 20% of the paint surface is beginning to bubble where it's been rained on. I'd love to keep the original paintwork, but I'd rather prolong the life of the frame by taking it back to bare metal and giving it a proper coating. I will however try to stick to the original colours (or thereabouts, I'll be getting Argos to do the job) so it should still look pretty similar, just more sparkly!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back