Colnago - believe the hype?

They're nice looking bikes, my late 70's super with its Saronni red paintwork is just stunning and the chroming is top quality. The ride isn't the most responsive in comparison with today's materials and fabrication techniques, but it's comfy for a Sunday morning outing. Plus it garners interest and discussion, which makes me happy and proud to own it!

Spokesmann":22n4bmbx said:
PIGEON":22n4bmbx said:
+2

They're nice enough but I'd rather have a Pinarello, De Rosa or Bianchi for instance.

Id rather have a Carlton, Hetchins, Bates, Baines, Guillot etc... ;)

All of which have their place in the history of lightweight cycling,...I assume you meant a Gillot,...but as the OP was about the perceived "hype", surrounding the Colnago name,..a little off the point.
Colnago have a considerable following, which can only be justified by the quality of their product. Their bikes are consistently at or near the top of any list of race bikes, the C50 winning the Top Race Bike by CW.
Colnagos aren't "hyped", they are excellent machines that are bought in large numbers based on performance, and in no small measure, style.
I paid a considerable amount for my C50, and have never regretted a penny, as I have previously stated, I've never ridden a better bike.
Some of your preferences, sadly, lack those qualities,..other than the "hype", surrounding their name.
But as you so rightly say,...It wouldn't do for us all to be the same,...would it.

Far Cry Toff":3tbjxuwe said:
Spokesmann":3tbjxuwe said:
PIGEON":3tbjxuwe said:
+2

They're nice enough but I'd rather have a Pinarello, De Rosa or Bianchi for instance.

Id rather have a Carlton, Hetchins, Bates, Baines, Guillot etc... ;)

All of which have their place in the history of lightweight cycling,...I assume you meant a Gillot,...but as the OP was about the perceived "hype", surrounding the Colnago name,..a little off the point.
Colnago have a considerable following, which can only be justified by the quality of their product. Their bikes are consistently at or near the top of any list of race bikes, the C50 winning the Top Race Bike by CW.
Colnagos aren't "hyped", they are excellent machines that are bought in large numbers based on performance, and in no small measure, style.
I paid a considerable amount for my C50, and have never regretted a penny, as I have previously stated, I've never ridden a better bike.
Some of your preferences, sadly, lack those qualities,..other than the "hype", surrounding their name.
But as you so rightly say,...It wouldn't do for us all to be the same,...would it.

Apologies over exuberant with the 'u'.

I still dont buy any of the Colnago hype. As stated each to their own! :)

pigman":zu5ein8j said:
PIGEON":zu5ein8j said:
+2

not sure ... From a distance or to the untrained eye a base level bianchi with xenon looks the same as a £5k bianchi .... same colours,decals, trim etc. Pinarello are now going the same way. I'm not sure colnago or deRosa ever did this

Sure I wouldn't choose a low end Bianchi over a high end Colnago, but the sheer fact that Bianci also makes affordable bikes wouldn't stop me from buying one of their high end models if I was in the market for an expensive new bike.
Now tht you mention it, I don't particularly like modern Bianchis and Pinarellos.. I suppose what I said only allpies to retro bikes.

I'm a fan of Colnagos. In my experience, they ride nicely and look great. However, I'd also say don't believe the hype. Other great bikes exist. It gets royally on my tits when someone looks down at my Tommasini because it's "not a colnago is it".

Back