1995 Kona Hahanna - (edit) got new paint!!!

Terry_hill

Dirt Disciple
This was my first proper bike back in 1995 and having ridden it for many years and loaning it to someone for the last couple of years (Wife bought me a new bike as an engagement present) I have it back and am in the process of converting it to single speed.

It's the typical Volkswagen custom Gold they originally were back then and has very few of it's original parts as I upgraded back in the day (it has the very first issue of the xt v-brakes and the RST mozo pros both classic in there own right?)

However having stumble across this site whilst looking for some project 2's to go on the front I've spotted the wonders of getting the frame powder coated and I have to say I will be joining the masses with a white single speed Kona as I think they look spot on. :oops:

So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a powder coater in derby area or can guide me to shots of a bike that has been done at Derwent Enamelers?

Any help or pointers on this would be massively appreciated.

As the build progresses I'll post some photo's if anyone is interested how it progresses?

Powder coaters

I've used lots 90 percent are garbage, applying too much in a single coat and are useless. I use a local firm who use fine glass powder to strip the frame and polish it, then a self etching coat, then a white undercoat then multiple thin coats of powder, finish is as good as on a modern car ,but cost is above average and can take 3 to 6 weeks? Can arrange for you if you like?
But have to say, not a fan of white Kona's!!!!! Chosse something more suited to the era, bright tutti frutti, Yellow, Candy Pink, Soft Green etc, White is just well boring!

Don't remember any of those colours in the range when I got mine. they were all fairly muted I think the fire mountain was burgundy and as you can see mine is the shocking metallic brown they called Volkswagen custom gold!

Attachments

• P102047312.jpg
    P102047312.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,771
  • P102047424.jpg
    P102047424.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,772
Trying to add my finished bike pics to this but don't seem to be able to link through to them using the tags linking into flickr.

Any ides why not?

Make sure you're copying the right text between the
tags? Should start http/ and end .jpg

Did you go for white in the end?

Yes I went with white which is likely to get me flamed for creating another white Kona but hey what the heck I like it.

After hunting down a set of Project 2's and getting some colour coordinated parts, new stickers from here and a machined head tube badge from Gil I have a new single speed work stead that I'm really happy with. Nothing like it's old form but a new lease of life that will hopefully see it being used for the next 16 years!

Looks like flickr have changed their code for image posting so you have to dig bits out of it now to get the image to post but it seems to have worked now!

5663175039_01bac23118.jpg

5663747366_6196c31c2e.jpg

5663183547_5fdb17359f.jpg

5663186187_be74961dda.jpg

I know this is a VERY old thread, but if anyone still around I'd love some help with the "Volkswagen custom Gold" paint color. I have been riding my 1995-ish Kona Hahanna as a commuter bike, and it is fantastic for that purpose. I have addressed some drive train issues over the years, but it's mainly, miraculously, mostly original. However, it's getting scratched up, and I'm on the fence about changing the color. I get a lot of compliments on the sparkly brown, despite the scratches, so if anyone knows the paint color code to have a shop mix up some custom brown, or has another idea about how to match or find a supply, I'd be very appreciative. I think I'll go with either white or a muted dark red/orange if I can't find a match, but I think it would be fun to go full original.

(Sincere apologies if this has been asked and answered. I tried to search this site, but was was not successful.)

I'd recommend starting your own build thread or restorration thread. In the mean time, any capable custom paint shop will be able to get you a match by using a little device that measures the reflective color(s) put off by the pigments in the paint. They can also sort you on whether you want the metallic in with the pigment or clear coat. Either way, laying down a high end paint job is achieveable on your own.

There are a few people here who have gone down the DIY 2k paint road with very good results. I highly recommend 2K and to treat the process like restoring a car.

Thanks very much @MuchAlohaNui, all of that is very helpful, and I will take your advice.
And for the record I regret taking any thunder from @Terry_hill / the original poster. Look like that was a fun project and a fantastic build in the end.

Back