Whats the test to determine aluminium from titanium?

scant":1yall5t0 said:
Jones":1yall5t0 said:
scant":1yall5t0 said:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/hardness.shtml

I was assuming they didn't want to mash whatever it was to test it :LOL:

hang on, your suggestion of scratching it with a nail to test surface hardness is EXACTLY the same as my bikepro test, IE different ways of testing surface hardness! except my links to industry standard tests & yours is "scratching it with a nail" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

yeh I think my suggestion is a serious suggestion jez ;) it would probabily help if you told us what the part is?

Exactly :LOL: thats what I was saying if you dont mind damaging it, its pretty easy to test :) if you don't want to damage it, its slightly more complex ;)

Its easy in work you just give it to the metalurgists they look at it through their weird scope thing ( technical term :LOL: ) line up some coloured lines and tell you exactly what it is :D

Then wait until you've finished welding it and tell you its something else :? :LOL:

Sickening as the water displacement test was, it's non destructive and accurate. All you need is a set of kitchen scales. As a point of reference the value for aluminium would be nearer 2.5 so it should be reasonably clear which metal it is...

If you tap it don't they ring in a different key.
or
Take all the steel bits off and Ti will float away whereas the Al wont

Maybe :roll:

Back