The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure hope this ends up in the right thread

I found this site by backtracking from a referral to my own site. It came from the "links" thread on this site. Once I was here, I thought I would register and introduce myself.

You can't get any more retro than my experience. I started riding off-road on "town bikes," old one-speeds that my roommate and I used for errands instead of our fancy road bikes. This was about 1974, and my roommate was Gary Fisher, who was not then well known outside of San Anselmo, California.

After a while we added derailleurs and front brakes to our old bikes, and then started racing at the hill we called "Repack." Unfortunately, I broke every one of my antique frames through racing and overuse, so I had to start riding custom frames. I owned one of the most collectible bikes on the planet, the second of Joe Breeze's ten original mountain bikes, built in 1978. It's now in the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

I'm not retro any more. I have a FS Specialized mountain bike and a LeMond carbon fibre road bike. Gary Fisher let me use the LeMond out of his bike collection after I broke my "retro" 34-year old Colnago (with Campy Nouvo Record) frame this year. I use my "retro" Ritchey P-21 for my "town bike" now.

But if you want to see a lot of photos of retro stuff, go to my site:
http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

i started riding bmx in the early 80's, when my bikes included kuwahara, mongoose and pk ripper.

got interested in mtb about 1990 and started out with a couple of entry level kona's.

built my first bike in 1992, using an alu frame imported from the states. it was a cool bright yellow colour with paint splash effect.

after a series of knee op's i decided to quit bikes for a while.

a couple of months ago, aged 33, i decided i needed to get back on for fitness reasons.

brought an old kirk frame in a moment of madness, discovered this site, got the bug again and the rest is history.

A big hello from the states...

Hey folks,

Thought I'd introduce myself after lurking for a bit...

I've been riding/racing since the mid 80's, started with road cycling and then moved into mountain bikes. Raced for Slingshot for a couple years, did an apprenticeship with Grove Innovations for a couple more and now am getting old and slow but still appreciate the toys from my youth.

I've been a framebuilder for over ten years now and have ridden mostly my own work, but have recently began collecting up some rides that have had some emotional/artistic/desire ridden pull at my heart.

Bikes have included...

89 Grove Innovations Hardcore with XT and Ritchey parts
94 Grove Innovations 2-B-1 tandem with KOOKA, Phil, Onza, and XT
95 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, newly aquired and ready to build...can't wait
Slingshots (couple of these)...sold them off to pay for kids school
and a few of my own work

I've enjoyed reading the previous postings...hope to contribute soon.

cheers,

rody

Fine selection of bikes Rody, look forward to seeing them up on the site. What name are you building under?

Did you just score the Yo off ebay.com ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks guys...

I built under rwracing for about 8 years until we suffered a fire and lost everything...over $70,000 in equipment and supplies. The last two years I've been slowly putting out a few frames for local riders under our new name...

Groovy Cycleworks

Each frame is handcrafted by me, paint done in house, and delivered and ridden with a smile :D

I have also been building a few ridgid forks for old school frames, have a crankset in the works, and been building a few choppers with two mates I share the shop with.

I've promised my family that I'll limit myself to 10 a year, a fraction of what I used to craft, to keep time for the kids and family activities.

If you can give me a few instructions on how to post pics, I'll get some photos up in the coming months.

cheers,

rody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back