why do i continue to buy??? (DeKerf content) now goodbye!

how do you like the ride? so do i just pump up both sides to the same pressure? says the factory is 2.5 bar.

i didn't get any other hardware aside from the fork. :p will that be an issue? i have a standard/modern fork pump, can i just use that without the L bend piece?

RockiMtn":38tphoug said:
how do you like the ride? so do i just pump up both sides to the same pressure? says the factory is 2.5 bar.

i didn't get any other hardware aside from the fork. :p will that be an issue? i have a standard/modern fork pump, can i just use that without the L bend piece?

I assume so if the pump seals up when taking it off properly and it a low pressure one.
Apparently you need to be quite accurate on the pressure.
It felt nice for the few miles on 5/5/10 day. Not ridden them since, lol.

I run mine at 20 psi (1.5bar ish). I'm 75kg. 2.5 bar will really restrict the travel.
Small bump sensitivity ain't too hot, but for 65mm they cope with the big stuff well.
A normal shock pump will be OK, but it's best to get a Marzocchi low pressure one.
You don't really need the L bend adapter. It's a bit of a faff taking the brakes off to adjust the pressure, but once you find what's right for you, you shouldn't need to check it again for quite a while!
They're nice forks- much , much better than anything Rockshox ,or anyone else for that matter, had on offer at the time. The only forks comparable are Rond Quakes, but they didn't appear till the year after.
Italian tractor technology at it's finest! :D

k, cut down the steerer and properly fitted the forks to the frame. i couldn't budge the fork so i emptied out the air in both legs. seemed only one leg had air in it :? tested again and the fork compressed. also closed the dampening to min as instructed in the manual.

pumped up air in both legs to around 2.5 bar, only have a fox 300 psi 20 bar pump :( again i couldn't budge the forks! :LOL:

dropped it down to approx half and seems okay. turned the damping about 2 full turns as it was slow to decompress. and all seems good now. :)

prob take out some more air as i'm only 140lbs (64kg) now that i know what pressure someone else uses.

thanks for all the help guys with the forks! ;)

Best part is..
Bushings, seals, air valves etc are all still available :D

From tech manual
140lbs so
120 to 155lb = 20 to 30psi (1.37 to 2.07 bar)
oil volume (if you ever need to do it is 500cc and 7cc as per manual*)

on to recommended on he back pages big list for forks...
so
Superfly '99
120-155lb
20-30psi
rebound = 5 turns (from fully closed, number gets smaller as you get heavier)

*I'm not sure on how much leeway you have on this before you have too much/too less oil, using less would give a bigger air chamber giving a more linear spring and allowing you to use more travel easier as compared to adding more oil.
That's if they work in a similar way to MAGs.

where'd you get the recommended setting charts from? i didn't see that in the instructions manual above.

so i should be in the range of 20-30psi. i'll turn the dampener 3 more full turns as recommended. ;)

with the Paul's mounted, I can still access the valves. :D Need to get some covers on them as they didn't come with any. Think I'll get some SS ones from local auto shop.

steerer has been cut down to length and installed properly. ;) need to figure out how to adjust the Paul's properly with it's quirky return spring setup. :?

Attachments

• IMG_3840.JPG
    IMG_3840.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,753
  • IMG_3838.JPG
    IMG_3838.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,753
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,753
i have more of the said stems than i have bikes to put them on! :LOL:

this project has turned out to be black & silver themed build. tyres will prob be swapped out with ones without the red stripe and a set of silver arm/black rings RF turbine crankset will be going on this. :cool:

yep definitely the silver/black RF crankset is for this build. taken from my Merlin as I was intending to put Syncros forged set with gold rings on that. ;)

slight change in saddle as well. not sure if a triple with work with the Paul Melvin chain tensioner instead of only a double as originally set up… hope so.

Attachments

• IMG_3841.JPG
    IMG_3841.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,715
Very nice bike... in the first pictures the poor thing looks very uncomfortably dressed, but you've massively improved it :)

Back