NEVER jump with CARBON bars OUCH lucky escape!!!!!!

Wow :shock:
Your lucky, my mate broke his carbon bars and got carbon shards up one of his forearms!

sastusbulbas":3w26wnlr said:
Easton carbon bars are reputed to be stronger than alloy equivalents?

Well, technically, ALL carbon bars are stronger than their equivalent alloy bars.

Carbon is ALWAYS stronger than equivalent metals. Now, what does decide if it breaks or not is impacts, dings etc. As long as you don't knock anything against the carbon it will remain stronger than metal, but all ya need to do is knock somehting on the bars (even a small tree branch can cause enough damage to lead to catrastrophic failure (damn spelling that word).

Reason why carbon forks and frames hold up so well. They are stronger as iron.... but only as long as the frame gets 0 impact on it.

3 things I stay away from... carbon seatposts, carbon bars, carbon crown'd forks (like the new rock shox w/ carbon crown and steer). Other than that, a carbon frame is more than ample etc. Think BCD :0

echihn":26bzy7ry said:
sastusbulbas":26bzy7ry said:
Easton carbon bars are reputed to be stronger than alloy equivalents?

Well, technically, ALL carbon bars are stronger than their equivalent alloy bars.

Carbon is ALWAYS stronger than equivalent metals. Now, what does decide if it breaks or not is impacts, dings etc. As long as you don't knock anything against the carbon it will remain stronger than metal, but all ya need to do is knock somehting on the bars (even a small tree branch can cause enough damage to lead to catrastrophic failure (damn spelling that word).

Reason why carbon forks and frames hold up so well. They are stronger as iron.... but only as long as the frame gets 0 impact on it.

3 things I stay away from... carbon seatposts, carbon bars, carbon crown'd forks (like the new rock shox w/ carbon crown and steer). Other than that, a carbon frame is more than ample etc. Think BCD :0

'but only as long as it gets 0 impact on it'

IMO the extact reason it's such a s**t material to make mountainbikes from.

Fails spectacularly and splinters can be pretty nasty as well

you only ever really hear about carbon breaking, more so than others i reckon
i think its too brittle :?

Not sure too brittle is the right term, but it is down to failure mode, the 'only as long as it gets 0 impact on it' quote. Carbon fibre has better fatigue and tensile strength than aluminium, for example. Then, bike parts tend not fail due to lack of tensile strength; it is down to fatigue, toughness, failure mode. Perhaps it's not best suited for some mountain bike parts, especially if you're repeatedly subjecting it to 5ft drops. One thing you can say for steel bars is at least they bend before they break (usually).

yeah maybe not brittle but they tend to snap as though they were, fatigue is right. i have heard from my old lecturer that the forces build up (like in the frame from general use) and then just shatter.
its a lot of variables that would come into playwhen deciding what bike parts it should/souldnt be used for

I should have used my bluepig lol, well isnt that rather silly regarding impact, as a mountain bike is ment for raging around and falling off and falling over, so if i bought a 3K carbon frame and fell off it and the bike ran its self into a tree i could never trust the frame not to snap!?? thats barmy.
So in theory dont buy anything thats carbon for a mountain bike.
I mean come on.... who hasnt fallen off there bike.

With regards to alloy verses carbon, carbon will just shatters were alloy will just bend surely??? and fail in such a bad way, its a good job they failed when my landing was a nice soft wet grassy slope with no trees or rocks around, as i slid for about 40 - 50yds, could have been alot worse :( :(

Latest posts

Back