My 1992 Alpinestars Al-Mega

BreakawayPaul

Retro Newbie
I replied in one of the other Alpinestars threads, but was encouraged to start my own.

I started road riding back in the late 1980s, when I was in my 20's. As time wore on, I acquired better and better bikes. Sometime in the mid-90s, I got a job at a local Performance Bike shop, first doing repair work, then some sales. It was here that I met my friend Mike, who was an avid mountain biker.

I wasn't really into mountain biking at the time, but some of my roadie friends were, and they invited me on a mtn biking trip with them. I borrowed an old hardtail Cannondale (with Pepperoni fork!) and off I went. Well, I was hooked!

I picked up a Trek 7000, which turned out to be a dog. I had a hard time keeping up with most of my friends, and when I finally went riding with Mike, he blew me off the trail on his Al-Mega XT. It was a strange looking bike, with elevated chainstays, S-bend seat tube, and funky Tioga revolver crank (added by Mike). He was a really nice guy, and waited up for me to catch up whenever we rode.

One day, he wanted to see what I was going on about with the Trek, and why I had not improved. We swapped bikes (we used the same pedals) and from the first stroke of the Al-Mega's crank, I was in love. I absolutely blasted down the trail, and this time is was me who had to wait for Mike to catch up!

A year or so later, Mike ordered a Mantis Pro Floater, and since he didn't have room for the extra bike in his apartment, the Al-Mega had to go. I bought it without hesitation, of course, which is how I came to acquire it.

Since then, there have been a lot of "upgrades". I eventually tossed the worn-out XT shifters for some newer LX models. An LX crank replaced the Tioga, and I'm currently running Performance brand wheels. Up front I ditched the Manitou 3 elastomer fork for a Manitou Black air/oil.

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

As you can see, it has no front derailleur. The mount broke off, and the repaired version isn't going to hold up (too thin) so I've been riding it with a fixed front (middle ring only) and plan to get a guide/tensioner system sometime soon.

I was really glad to see other Al-Mega owners out there. I still have the catalog that contains my bike. I might have to scan it in one of these days.

looks good in a mix n match way

forks dont look too long either

i fitted a standard clamp on lx mech to my al mega ,it works okay

welcome to cash converters .com m8

mike

Really nice, that, Paul :cool: :cool:

Looks good with the stripped frame, and as Mike says - the forks look to suit too, in a mix 'n' match way.

Nice to see it's being used properly too. :cool:

Steve

Thanks!

I thought about a clamp-on FD, but due to how the seat tube is, figured it would sit too far forward to work properly.

I wish I could figure out how to get the E-type working, but having the fixed front middle ring is fine really.

The front fork doesn't look too out of place, but the look of the Manitou 3 was definitely a lot more consistent with the look of the rest of the bike.

I've been thinking of either hand-polishing the bike, or having it powder coated maybe. Not sure what I'll do.

Welcome to the forum, always nice to see a 1992 alpinestars posted up.

Reckon you could get the e-type mech to work, but with a lot of effort. Firstly, you'll need an e-type BB or you'll knock the chainline out and then you'll need someone with serious fabrication skills to knock a clamp together that bolts to the seat tube and provides an anchor point for the mechs back plate. I went e-type with my hotrod cro-mega (see sig), but with it being a steel frame I was able to weld the anchor point on (anchor point being an m5 threaded tab that the mech plate can be bolted to). Hope this helps.

sinnett177":w02118nk said:
I went e-type with my hotrod cro-mega (see sig)

Oh I'm well aware of the links in your sig. You're why I decided to join up! :cool:

I honestly think I'm going to stick with the fixed front ring. I've got a 3rd eye chain watcher on it to keep it from dropping down to the small, and I think in time I'll pull the big ring off in favor of a bash guard. I probably still need to take some links out of the chain to get the tension where I need it.

For the riding I do, I hardly ever used the small ring anyway. The bike climbs so amazingly well (as I'm sure you know) that the small ring was almost superfluous, especially given the terrain I ride on.

One of these days I'll make a thread for my 2001 Jamis Dakar, assuming it's old enough to mention here.

BreakawayPaul":3m4141kr said:
Oh I'm well aware of the links in your sig. You're why I decided to join up! :cool:
:oops: Sorry about that!!

Sounds like you have a plan. A guy at work has an al-mega XTR with the same problem, he's using a band on front mech, but i'm pretty sure it isn't doing the business as he's been asking the same question.

Good luck with it and keep us all updated.

No worries with the Jamis either, anything goes here. Just post it up in the post '98 readers bikes section.

Did some clean-up work today. Also pulled the big ring off the front for use on my wife's bike, and threw a bash guard on. Pulled some links out of the chain too. It rides really nice.

img_0828.jpg

img_0829.jpg

img_0830.jpg

img_0831.jpg

My 01 Dakar Expert, which may soon be the topic of a new thread on the 97 and up forum ;)

img_0834.jpg

Back