Status
Not open for further replies.

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Building on the imminent one organised by Mark and Paul, planning a Retro Road Riding Weekend (AKA The Welsh Borders Grimpeur) on 24th/25th July.

What does it involve, I hear you cry?
It's a two day event for lovers of old road bikes, featuring a stunning, scenic and undulating Sportive style ride plus a chance for a few beers and a bit of a banter in the evening. Oh, and a timed hill climb for those of stout constitution.

Sounds good but give me specifics....

Saturday 24th will be the Sportive ride with a choice of 90 km or 135 km routes 9the first part of the ride is shared with a split after 30 km or so). Both routes will be on very quiet country roads bar about 6 km with the longer ride covering the legendary Gospel Pass.

Both have plenty of climbing but nothing is super steep so with a compact and a bit of fitness all should be fine. The shorter route in particular has numerous bail out options in case mechanicals/fitness/age is a barrier.

Both rides will be followed by a small garden party and then a trip to the metropolis to sample the delights of the award winning Wye Valley Brewery.

Sunday 25th is the recovery ride to lunch at a neraby country pub (roses round the door, beer garden etc.) with the option of a timed ride up the fearsome 1 in 4 Capler for those with a bit of juice left in the tank.

Where is it happening?
The ride will start and finish in Hampton Bishop, just outside of the cathedral city of Hereford.

Accommodation?
There’s a very good campsite about a mile and a half from the ride start/finish, plus good B&B option 3 miles away in the next village.

Anything for partners and/or nippers?
Herefordshire is a very pretty county and there's plenty of opportunity for strolls with an ice cream along the river bank, great open parks and pretty, sleepy black and white villages with quaint antique shops.

Do I have to ride an old road bike?
Riding retro is certainly encouraged if at all possible but if you haven't got anything ready then modern is acceptable (although expect some good natured ribbing). There will be a ‘best in show’ rosette for the sweetest old school ride.

Anyone fancy it?

OK- first rosette of this ride goes to the organiser who always manages to put on rides when one of his nearest Retrobike neighbours has temporarily left the country!

All being well I shall be in eastern Europe that weekend with a bike or two - perhaps hunting down Team Poland from OWMTBC 09.

Mid July or Mid August would have been perfect in my calendar

Sounds a great weekend though - hope you get lots of takers Ed. If the European plans fall through I'll come and even lead your shorter route (if that was a serious suggestion)

Carol

Hi Ed,

Pencil me in for this please, I'm supposed to be working but might be able to wangle Saturday off. Wifey says she can do sag wagon / food stop.

thanks

for us up in sheffield, this is the weekend that schools break up. Dont know if thats the case nationally?? If it is, and its the traditional holiday week, it might be advisable to book accommodation sooner than later.

pigman":22z0gszk said:
for us up in sheffield, this is the weekend that schools break up. Dont know if thats the case nationally?? If it is, and its the traditional holiday week, it might be advisable to book accommodation sooner than later.

In Herefordshire schools finish on 17th July but booking ahead is always advisable I guess.

this is the same weekend as the welsh festival of cycling based in the wye valley I believe. Is there an intended link up?

pigman":1380264e said:
this is the same weekend as the welsh festival of cycling based in the wye valley I believe. Is there an intended link up?

There isn't an intended link up but as the longer of the proposed routes goes through hay there's no reason why it shouldn't - I'll look into it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back