shocktech forks-rebuild info

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
evening guys.

today i picked up these shocktech forks from BADGER on here as a gift.many thanks brother!! i just had to dismantle them, with a permanent grin throughout, i like these! i have now reached a point where re-assembly is impending. i need some sort of info regarding what should be observed and fitted to get them up and running. once the legs were seperated from stantions dark grey oil ran out of the stantions from the top. when the legs were totally shifted the threaded bolt had a horrible yellow guey stuff on the thread itself, went everywhere! then, once the bolt had been removed from out of the stantion it has a blue rubber bung at the head.

a fairly simple layout but, oil is involved here so im out of my depth.got any ideas, info, manuals? first pic is grotty but applicable :shock:

Attachments

• P1010666.JPG
    P1010666.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • P1010665.JPG
    P1010665.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 1,126
I serviced a few pairs of the carbon versions when I rode for a team sponsored by Shocktech back in the day. If these are the same as the carbons then there shouldn't be any oil involved, the grey stuff than ran out when you dismantled is probably a collection of water, grease and general crap that's accumulated over the years. The horrible yellow stuff is what's left of the elastomers - I have a set of the carbons in a similar state.
Assembly should be simply a matter of cleaning them all up and fitting the correct elastomer stacks onto the bolts. From what I recall there is on small elastomer at the bolt head inside the stanchions then a stack of elastomers along the protruding bolt below the stanchion, with each one in the stack separated by a washer. From memory there should then be a split plastic seal that sis on the shoulder at the bottom of the stachion and then a rubber seal that sits it the recess at the top inside of the lower legs.
I think the problem you will encounter is getting the right elastomers as I'm in the same boat with mine. What's needed is the manual or someone with a set with intact elastomers we could measure from as I suspect they'll be very similar to a Manitou stack.
Hope that all makes sense, unfortunately I have an ageing memory but no manual :(

shocktech

some new guidance on these shocktech bouncers

they are in essence manitou copies so-----

search up manitou one downoad- pick the sixth or so down and you can read up on manitou one in pieces :)
it shows the bits we need and in the right order-something to work on i guess as the parts may be the same stock :?

sorry i cant paste site address-crap pc :oops:

Attachments

• Photo-0018_e1.jpg
    Photo-0018_e1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,056
Re:

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Did you ever find out if the Manitou 1 elastomers fit these forks?
I bought some Shocktech forks a while back, supposedly with "Like New" elastomers fitted, just stripped them apart today and found one intact elastomer, one white crumbled elastomer, and yellow sticky goo in the one leg I've taken apart so far. :roll:

What will break down the yellow goo? I think the washer(s) that seperate the elastomers are stuck in the goo at the bottom of the fork leg, and it's a bugger trying to get them out :?

Re:

Takes me back! :)

I never did rebuild as intended, with manitou internals etc..

I gave them to mini ninja rob, not sure what became of them.
The suspensionforks part thing is the way to go for that restoration feel but, still poxy elastomers at the end of the day.
I once rebuilt some manitou magnums using 'my own recipe' approach.

Therein was an approach to use 'an' elastomer for bottom and top out(probably robbed from something else) then i used RST springs for the main bouncy stuff. Some trial and error is needed but the outcome is generally good, and do-able in house, not spending large amounts of money or, waiting for the postman.
So long as you mimic the original stack height, reuse washers between the bounce media then, all should be good.
Nowt for the engineer minded individual. ;)

Blather it all in rubber friendly grease.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-Silic ... 2a3fae53a4

See, i'm tight!

The goo....From memory i scraped manually what i could with the head of a long bolt, holding the threaded end. Then, used a wirey brush and hot water for the rest, sort of thing you would clean your car wheels with. That's as far as i got.

The manitou's i re- did were rebuilt as..bottom elastomer/spacer/spring/spacer/top elastomer. As the legs are fully up by hand, the whole stack wants to peep out of the top by, for example 20mm, so as you wind down the top cap it's all under load, thats pretty much it then. Now for the trial, see how they perform/rebound. It may need to be altered or swapped out with other bits to get what you want, and it's worth checking the crown cannot foul the front tyre.

Cheap RST forks can make good donor forks if internals are ok.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks marc, I've stripped the fork completely now, thinking that I may be able to use an assortment of spare elastomers from my spares box for one side, and maybe find a spring for the other leg, like you say maybe find a donor set of forks, or I see that springs for Rock Shox Tora's etc can be found for around £10 so maybe worth a try, even cut one down if need be.

Elastomers are just so "retro" :LOL:

Back