£5 Ebay bargain

fagin

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Been a bit hesitant to post this on here as most of the bikes seem to be pretty fancy, and mine is a real cheapy but I think it was a bargain.
My son built up a rather nice modern road bike, and I couldn't keep up on my mountain bike so I decided to try find a cheap road bike to see if I enjoyed it.
Was watching a few on Ebay, this one didn't have a picture, had a start price of £5, and was close to home, so I stuck a bid on and won it.
Picked it up (either bring it home or go past the dump) and was pleasantly surprised at it's lightness and general condition, and came with a really nice pump. Not sure about the colours though. Main tubes are sort of silver with blue splatter, and forks and stays are cream with yellow splatter. Callipers, dérailleurs and cranks are a delicate shade of cream as well. What were they thinking?
Brought it home, pumped up the tyres, which promptly exploded.
Replaced the tubes, tried again and off we went.
So far have replaced the saddle (had a puffy gel filled monstrosity) and put nice shiny toeclips on in place of the plastic ones.
So owes me about £20 in total, lovely to ride, just a bit hard up steep hills with the gearing (and I'm used to granny gear) and I'm pleased as anything with it.
Assume same Carrera as current Halfords stuff. Did they used to make better stuff in the past, as although this has relatively cheap bits, it seems well made?

4452275492_d37c4ba2ae_b.jpg

4452276950_7e7466e1bd_b.jpg

4451502281_37894fbd38_b.jpg

See the badge says 'Cycles of Qualty'

Carerra is their upmarket tat, as opposed to Apollo which is tatty tat. I've had a couple of Careera MTB's. nothing amazing, but good enough bikes for what they are. What tubing does the sticker say it proudly sports?

Yojimbo":31ku2gbe said:
Carerra is their upmarket tat, as opposed to Apollo which is tatty tat. I've had a couple of Careera MTB's. nothing amazing, but good enough bikes for what they are. What tubing does the sticker say it proudly sports?

you got a bike based around a 531 frame, for £5, and you were hesitent to shout about it! :roll: :LOL:

You have indeed been touched by his noodly appendage. Thats a good frame, regardless of the peculiar colouring., well worth hanging on to.

Back