• Total voters
rc200ti":3b7n82lj said:
MikeC
Hei Hei, cool.
Kula, cool.
Explosif, cool.
Kilauea, cool.
Cindercone, cool.
Hahanna, Fire Mountain, Lava Dome, and everything else, uncool.

Spot on.

Lava Dome shares the same frame spec as the Cindercone, so why buy that one, save the cash and upgrade to bits YOU want, so cool!

88-90 Lava Dome - very cool, but oh so heavy.

90-93 look cool, still heavy.

>93' lighter, sharper, good.... but cool? Dunno.

Mattbrown wrote
Lava Dome shares the same frame spec as the Cindercone, so why buy that one, save the cash and upgrade to bits YOU want, so cool!

Get your point. Surely we are voting on a package rather than just the frame, and on this basis have to return to original spec. Although well and interestingly specced for the price point I never saw the Lava Dome as cool, chilled yes.

MikeC":77bao4yc said:
Hei Hei, cool.
Kula, cool.
Explosif, cool.
Kilauea, cool.
Cindercone, cool.
Hahanna, Fire Mountain, Lava Dome, and everything else, uncool.

Not sure

I've got an old battered Candy apple red Fire Mountain and I'd say it was a cool bike comaped to some of the stuff that is around now..TBH I'd even go as far as saying it would be 'on trend' if singlespeeded lol

tintin40":28njt1qz said:
Hei Hei cool. Any other Kona no way. Nice bikes but not cool.

That's such BS...Why is the Hei Hei the only coolest Kona, is it because it's expensive or something?

Neil G":3107tx85 said:
That's such BS...Why is the Hei Hei the only coolest Kona, is it because it's expensive or something?

Weight, material, ride quality (rider weight dependant), 'prestige' builder....

Although I'd put the Hot in the same category.

rc200ti":1hr3i0mi said:
Mattbrown wrote
Get your point. Surely we are voting on a package rather than just the frame, and on this basis have to return to original spec. Although well and interestingly specced for the price point I never saw the Lava Dome as cool, chilled yes.
I would suggest you are the precise reverse of correct. You are leaving out of your thinking a very noble, and I think quite cool, mtb tradition of upgrading.

It could be argued that the Lava Dome was *the* upgradable bike of the 90s. The fact that it had the same frame as the Cinder Cone but lower-grade kit made it more cool, more upgradable, accessible to a load of buyers who couldn't afford a Cinder Cone.

Kona always concentrated on the frames rather than the kit, that's why they survive so much better as retro bikes than makes that concentrated value in the parts. And the Lava Dome was the classic example of the frame comes first, upgrade the parts as you go style of getting into mtb.

Tallpaul":28ssm0bs said:
Neil G":28ssm0bs said:

Weight, material, ride quality (rider weight dependant), 'prestige' builder....

Although I'd put the Hot in the same category.

:oops: sorry forgot the Hot :cool: :LOL:

Back