1991 Rocky Mountain Titanium

i've been told it's had a good proper life of hard and long riding even with the dents. which to me is a good sign it's fine as is.

as you can see i already have a seatpost in place. i have a few things stashed away i can already make use of for this build. ;)

It looks as though it's either a 1990 or a 91, so either way built for a short Syncros rigid fork or 50mm suspension. So whatever fork you fit to it, you're surely not going to be subjecting it to the kind of forces that would apply excessive stress to that area. Titanium is as tough as a tough thing anyway, and back in 1990 they didn't exactly under-build mtb frames. If the tubes weren't dead straight, it might be a different matter, but that looks perfectly rideable to me.

I don't think there's anything that could be done to improve it. Titanium is so hard you probably couldn't hammer it out even if you could get an implement in there, which you couldn't.

What fork were you thinking of using Frank?

PS
it would be interesting to know what it weighs actually, as that would give an idea of the fundamental strength of the thing. Let me take a guess at 1.8kg.

fork would be one of only two i've been collecting multiples of and have spare. either an AMP F2, which is the one i'm leaning towards, or a set of period/bike correct Syncros Powerlite.

i also have an early Joe Murray branded P2 (unbutted), and a set of Halson inversions, but neither of which i care to put on the RM.

one thing i've noticed is the titanium on the RM is a lot darker grey in colour than my 94 Merlin. The Merlin is a much brighter Ti finish. But checking the catalogue specs, they are both 3AL/2.5V.

i'll weigh up frame only later today when i get home.

as requested, my scale says 3lbs 5oz, or 1.51kg.

that's with some hockey tape on the chainstay, as well as a lizard skin wrapped to it. also the seat collar bolt in place.

That surprises me actually. It's just about as light as ti frames sensibly get without expensive shaping of the tubes. I didn't realise they made ti mtb frames as light as that as early as 1990/91. Perhaps Mr Bailey's skill as a welder compensated for the lack of grammes in the tubes.

I suppose it goes against my 'bomb-proof' argument, but I still wouldn't have any qualms riding that frame, especially with a Syncros fork. Try not to wrap it round any trees though Frank.

It reminds me of an occasion when I was riding behind tintin40 on his Trimble, down a trail covered with wet leaves, cambering down to the left and with lateral roots invisible under the leaves. My Equipe wasn't enjoying it at all, but it was a hell of a lot more stable than the Trimble which was giving Tony a really hard time. Eventually it snaked completely out of control and threw itself off the left hand side of the trail into a tree and like a true retrobiker Tony threw himself head-first at the tree (no helmet) in order to protect the bike from damage. He cut his head but he was more worried about the Trimble, and also insisted it wasn't the bike's fault it was Wu-Tangled's fault for distracting him with his phone ringing. That's love I guess. I mean, he loves the Trimble, not Wu-Tangled. Well, not as far as I'm aware anyway. :?

I reckon if you treat the Titanium Race (or is it a Titanium Competition?) with similar care, it ought to be ok.

My 2004 Explosif had a near identical downtube dent - previous owner leaned it on a block of wood to remove the lower headset cup :roll:

I raced that bike round a brutal course at Mansfield park a couple of years ago - no suspension to lessen the impact of the huge roots and rain ruts that seemed to make up the whole course - I crashed 3 times, once badly, and nothing bad happened. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you could get it rolled out though - I just don't know of a bike shop round here that has the forms or the staff skilled enough to use them - if you know any machinists you could probably get some forms made and do it yourself.

Anyway I'm glad I'm of the tall, skinny persuasion otherwise I'd be horribly jealous!

Anthony well it was the 3rd year of it's production (I'm still guessing 1991 due to that being the only year they really used headtube mounted bosses)
Rocky Mountain should be able to date it though, they have dated 1991 Altitudes to the month for someone on this board (I cannot get past our bloody importers) and it's a simple serial number.
But should be easier for someone living there.

Though given these where almost custom built in the early years or built for the team who knows from looking at it.

Oh that spacer is standard on the UNxx-E bottom bracket, it is there for when you're not using the E-front mech, you just discard it when you use one.

I'd ride it and pray it's a 1991 bike as it used Syncros Powerlights for it's forks. If it's a year earlier you'll be looking for Syncros Cro-Mo or <shudder> Titanium forks. I'm not sure on the differences between the two years in the cro-mo forks but 1991 are lighter and probably butted etc.. May be something for me to look up at some point.

What I find interesting it 1990 was it's real introduction to market, 1991 it became a prominent bike both year up with the custom Tantalus, but in 1992 it was dropped level to the Altitude almost as a frame option, Steel or Ti (for an ~£700 premium) though takes second place in the catalogues.

In 1992 they also dropped the polished style for an etched effect.

That's before there restyle/launching in 1993 of the bikes and the sad loss of the wishbone.

Here's a picture to give you idea's
http://www.retrorocky.de/mediac/400_0/media/002$20$282$29.JPG

FluffyChicken":jtyuuo8i said:
Oh that spacer is standard on the UNxx-E bottom bracket, it is there for when you're not using the E-front mech, you just discard it when you use one.

so what's the large brass coloured collar that's on the axle for?

FluffyChicken":jtyuuo8i said:
I'd ride it and pray it's a 1991 bike as it used Syncros Powerlights for it's forks. If it's a year earlier you'll be looking for Syncros Cro-Mo or <shudder> Titanium forks. I'm not sure on the differences between the two years in the cro-mo forks but 1991 are lighter and probably butted etc.. May be something for me to look up at some point.

sorry, definitely not going to be bike/period correct. mostly will be built with whatever spare bits i have stashed. you know me! ;)

You mean you've not got Ti Syncros forks floating around, I'm sure they'll just fall of a tree or something.

I missed the brass collar bit, it just a precaution as mentioned and standard to the bottom bracket. Sort of a self imposed limit so the crank designed for it cannot go in to far. Think think it changed for a shim stop type thing later on. EDIT, I think the technical term for it is 'chain line stabiliser'

FluffyChicken":gh90o0fs said:
You mean you've not got Ti Syncros forks floating around, I'm sure they'll just fall of a tree or something.

now THAT would be something! :shock: you have way too much faith in me if you think i can pull that one off!

however i was bouncing the idea of getting ti repo legs done to fit into the crown. :twisted:

Back