Coolwall - Thumbshifters

Coolwall - Thumbshifters

• cool

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C.O.O.L.

The ergonomics are much better on the shifters with the 2 paddles under the bar.
Not sure what they're called, but I loved my 8-speed LX ones from BITD.

But the indexed shifting etc. makes them too specific, and they don't like getting smashed on rocks.

Many of my rides have been saved by being able to use a pair of thumbies with whatever gearing setup is on a bike. MTB, tourer, crosser...

So although I have some of those under-bar flippy shifters, I still have Deore, XC Pro and Ultegra/Forge thumbies, and have no intention of giving them up.

I vote COOL.

I love the reassuring mechanical solidity and simplicity of them, as if they were built to be the first and last index shifters needed, and to last forever.

They are the Fender Telecasters of the gear change world, minimal on aesthetics but triumphant in function.

The genius move of having the friction setting means that they are the Extreme Shifters that will get you home when others have failed, and the ability to crunch through several gears at a time gives you the choice of what you want to do and how quickly you want to do it. And if you hurt your thumb they become palmshifters- try that with STI.

I am sure that Up There, Kurt Cobain, Sheldon Brown and Fred Dibnah are having a warm milk stout and nodding in agreement.

therealkw15":12qh8ty6 said:
I am sure that Up There, Kurt Cobain, Sheldon Brown and Fred Dibnah are having a warm milk stout and nodding in agreement.

Three people I'd definitely have round as dinner guests.

why is this even being put into a vote? we all know the outcome of this regardless if you think it's cool or not. :roll:

for me, i don't care for them. but i can appreciate what the represent to the masses here. but since you have to vote one way or the other, i'll have to vote uncool.

and yes, i'm a gripshift fan and will say that in public. :twisted:

The ultimate addition in my fettish of early 90's ironmongery that will out last most modern shifters.

The only bad thing about I can think of with thumbies is from previous owners who used them on bikes when turned over on to bars and saddle and scraped gouges in them, thats the only bad thing I can think of about them.

Love them and couldnt really live with out them.

Cool without a doubt :cool:

I've only one bike that hasn't got thumbies fitted (and that'll change as soon as my new brakes arrive!).
Everytime I ride my Jamis Dragon, with its under-bar nonsense, I curse not having thumbies on it. I want to select any of my gears whenever I want and with one action, not have to flick through with multiple presses :roll:
I liken thumbies to a standard gearbox on a car...everything else is flappy-paddle wrongness :D

Voted cool btw ;)

I've started ploughing my giant thumbie stash back into my club to spread the karma. The ONLY gearshifter for nightriding ( gears by " feel " ). The only other gearshifter that is compatible with 11 speed Super Record. :LOL:

Wow, I'm in step! Sheer and simple functionality - the index/friction choice is a design winner in itself.

And so altho' I do not subscribe to the "it's old so it must be good and/or cool" school of thinking, yes, thumbies ARE "cool".

' I do not subscribe to the "it's old so it must be good and/or cool" school of thinking "

Me neither though I'm always amused when something " works* " and then is changed the next season because of progress**.

*could be mechanically, ergonomically, elegantly or all of the above.

** the western objective ideal that more/faster/change for change's sake is better.

No surprise. Thumbshifters are

cool.jpg

Next up under the microscope is e-stays.

Back