orange prestige 1993

I love these Oranges. I've had two P7's (and an ev02) and now I have a slime-green Clockwork.

However, I'd be wary of the Prestige - they are wafer thin! I had a gorgeous one in the silver and purple fade. It had some light surface rust but, being a lover of steel, it didn't put me off (and it was slight). However, I took it in for a fancy new paintjob and they called me to let me know the seat tube was full of tiny holes. I wasn't going to pay to have the tube replaced and didn't even pick it back up after that :(

All I want is for someone to sell me a boggo '99 Roadie-O so I can get it painted orange (or pink) and white fade...

That's a real sad story- sorry to hear that :( your right the steel is thin, however I gave the old girl a real good inspection and treated her to antirust chemicals and waxoyl so hopefully she will see a few more ride's however a dry garage will be the main home for her once built up :roll:

Anthony":3anum8ez said:
That orange on black look certainly cuts the mustard. More unusual than the standard purple fade and definitely in the timeless classic category.

The only thing that surprises me is that I have never seen an Orange from that era with the seat tube letters on their side like that, they were always vertical, one above the other. Not that I'm qualified to question the hallowed Mr Montague, I could never claim that and I feel sure he must have got this design from some authentic source, but personally I've never seen one like that. Earlier yes, but after 1991 not never ever.

your on the money again, the correct decals for this 93 bike would have the downtube orange lettering vertical however they would have also been in the more computer like font which I don't really like that much (sorry) so I asked gil for the older style ones which I think had the orange side on, you can just about make it out in the 93 catalogue strangely enough in the acrobatic prestige shot with what I can only guess was a 1992 model. The 92 catalogue wont load for me at the mo but I suspect the side lettering is in there. So yeah I have cheated here but a bit of artistic licence is allowed non?

Without wishing to be argumentative, I can't understand why the Prestige has a reputation for having wafer-thin tubing. It was made of Tange Prestige Ultimate Superlight, which was the thinnest gauge of Prestige, but still not particularly thin. For example, the top tube is an 8-5-8, whereas the top tube of my Columbus Cyber Kilauea is a 7-4-7. That's 20% thinner still and there are plenty of Kilaueas still around, just as there are plenty of Prestiges.

The seat tube in particular was a 9-6-13, which is absolutely standard for a heat-treated seat tube and in fact the same size as the seat tube in the Ultrastrong tubeset, the heaviest grade of Tange Ultimate. Nor is there any direct link beetween gauge and rust. If water gets into an untreated steel tube, it will rust and an extra 0.1mm of thickness wouldn't save it.

Like I say, I don't want to be argumentative, but I think Prestige owners should ride and enjoy. Yes to waxoyl or in this case Kurust, yes to dry storage but no to worrying about fragility. Lots of bikes were made of Superlight, Marins, ParkPres, Voodoos etc, and they're still out there.

update with more bits hanging on her- what do you think about the tyres- I kind of like them. Cables- black?
pres.jpg

Blimey, you've even colour-keyed your fence to the decals, not just your sidewalls!

Yes, black, don't let it get all sweet on you.

Nice one Gazz, does look very well balanced :cool:

skewers on the wrong side :p

Latest posts

Back