'97 Kona Cindercone hotrod - Now with paint and decals!

Is my build retro enough?

• Yes. Were nearly in 2010 ffs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well its kinda retro modernised...

• NO

• Its somewhere in between mate but still very cool ;)

• Total voters
mikesnowdon":2qjtpps2 said:
I wouldn't waste the money and headset hassle just to get some coloured spacers in. But then that's me.

Its just a excuse to buy more Crank Bros Stuff I suppose...Thing is I cant afford it either! If I could Id have finished this bike by now!

Hey, things are looking up with a recent new employment. I'm a good boy you know. Santa might drop one in his stockings. Sorry, meant to say my stocking..err, this Christmas.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Santa might drop one in his stockings...

Am I the only one who fund this really funny??!!!! :D

Still no further with this, wheels not buit, frame not painted. But I do have some shiny new parts! Got a nice Flite Ti carbon (v,light). Bought a new Thomson post that fits (27.0mm) and some Ti bolts for it, also got some Gold KCNC yokes too. Got a shorter Thomson stem, 100mm and mint condition, and a set of Easton EC90 straight bars off a mate. And to top it off I bought a Crank Brothers Opium C headset.

Still need to sort a fork out. I amassed a bunch of different SID parts that could be built into a working fork. But you know what I really want? A 2002 SID Race Titanium :shock: Best looking fork in the world, ever....

Component wise the only other things Im really looking for are some nicer skewers. Not that theres anything wrong with Salsa Rasta's but they aint the lightest, aint in great condition, an dont match the colour scheme I have in mind. I also need some M952 XTR shifters, basically the same as the XT ones I have, but would match the mechs better.

Isnt it funny how the build isnt even done yet but I find myself with surplus to requirement parts. Looks like I'll be having my own for sale thread soon :) Headset, Skewers, Stem, Shifters... :LOL:

Ive just been loking at the bike mocked up and I though t looks a bit big, so I measured the seattube.

Its a 19" :( After all this I find out its a bigger frame that I thought. My last Kona was a 17" and the fit was perfect. I dont think the big 'ol 19" gonna be ok for me. Im only 5'9" (ish).

What do I do?

Finnish the frame and sell it on, or sell it on as-is (with no paint).

Or finish the build and hope it fits?

(TBH Im hankering for a 17" Explosif)

All this time I though it was a 18".

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Ouch

Best to sell in bare steel ( you have oiled it to stop corrosion ? ) as no matter what colour you choose it'll be wrong for a prospective buyer .

There's a black explosif in the for sales for £350

perry":1cztzd9k said:
Ouch

Best to sell in bare steel ( you have oiled it to stop corrosion ? ) as no matter what colour you choose it'll be wrong for a prospective buyer .

There's a black explosif in the for sales for £350

Yep its oiled up. Got new decals for it too.

That's a 93 Explosif mate. It wont work well with the SID's I'm afraid.

I think I'll put it in the FS seciton soon. No idea what to ask for it though...

Should I shouldn't I :?:

If I continue with the build on this one it'll always nag in the back of mind that I'd prefer a smaller frame.

I'm annoyed.

Hold onto it for now unless you need the cash. Store it - get a 17" and start again. Then compare the two.

Mind you my daughter rides a 17" orange and shes only 5'3""

Not really being much help here am i? :LOL:

lol!

Now the dilema is do I get a retro kona and do the disk brake conversion all over again. Or, god forbid, get a more modern frame with a mount already on it? :LOL:

The 02 Stumpy in FS section is tempting me a bit.

Back