1955 James Fothergill

Wow! I'd love the view of that bar and stem when riding but I'd never look where I'm going!

May I ask why did you decide to restore with mid 70's components instead of 50's which would be the same period as the frame? Just curious.

easy one really,
it was originally fixed so had only a few braze ons,
it was updated for gears and resprayed in the mid 70's using high end components for its previous owner by Bob Jacksons in Leeds.
I didn't want to start getting all the gear braze ons etc removed as they were part of the bikes history
1970's high end components were /are of a better standard and more useable than 1950's stuff IMHO (I have 50's equipped bikes also)
700c's are easier to get decent tyres for than the original 26x 1 1/4"'s that were fitted originally though it did also run on 'continentals' 27"S (700 tubulars)

forgot, yes the 'cockpit' view can be distracting...the stem is a SR Royal with titanium (I am told) bolts and alloy wedge...it is very light

As you say the quality of the lugwork is extremely good, IMHO upto Hetchins standard easily...as a time served engineer and general tinkerer I can find no fault at all with the build quality of any Fothergill I have seen.
Kitted out with full modern kit I bet it would be in the sub 20 lb bracket easily.
Ride quality is great and as for looks well the pics say it all, even ladies at work who don't ride have commented on it's 'prettiness'.
A definate never to be sold machine!

A gorgeous bike you have there, and very light too if your scales really are accurate - none of my 531 machines get close to 20lb except the single-gear bikes.

The lugwork really does look as good as the best of the London frame builders' work. ;)

Can't help feeling that it would be even more desirable with 1950s componentry like a Stronglight 49D, Mafacs, Airlites, Simplex TDF or Gran Sport mech and a nice chromed GB or Titan stem and matching bars. That's a slightly cheeky opinion rather than a criticism so don't take that the wrong way...

No criticsm taken, many of my other bikes have all that on here's my Webster (locally made) on Classic Lightweights http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... er-rb.html
It's just that this one was updated by it's previous owner in the mid late 1970's, but most of that mid/high end equipment had just about worn out so rather than start getting all the braze on's off that were fitted then and getting the rear end reset(it was originally fixed/free) I decided to go with what it's original owner aimed for when he had it updated by Jacksons then.

Yes, I've seen your Webster on Peter's website. Another lovely machine and good to see it with the original finish.

You clearly have a taste for the rare and unusual. Don't think I've ever seen a Webster or a Fothergill in the flesh.

Back