Pace RC500 Retro DH First build pics (picture intensive!!)

Yeah I think I have seen 2 others online, certainly not many about. I had seen (possibly your thread?) on another forum, which was regarding the broken link. To be perfectly honest, DH isnt my thing, I will likely give it one go then retire it to the wall for safe keeping.

As it happens I am exceedingly good with Solidworks, and would be able to get access to a multi axis cnc machine for not a lot of cash. But lets hope I dont have to go there in the first place.

(that said I am still awaiting some milling bits for my workshop lathe so I can make some disc tab adaptors that allign with the 51mm I.S standard, so nope the bikes still not quite there.)

Cheers for the comment.

nah that was some other kid who bought it, then broke the linakge straight away (his was black aswell). I sold mine about 4-5 years ago to some fella with a Pace 200 as well. Good project mate, dont know what you mean about disc adapters, I ran both C2 and 4-pot hope brakes without adapters on my 500.

Now that brings back very fond memories I used to have one of those about 3 years ago black in colour looked gorgeous like yours does. I had a major problem with the chain device on mine it snapped and was a bitch to replace but this was a common problem with this model never the less I loved it great DH bike and yours is stunning well done :D

Thats a great looking build
I remember seeing a red 500 that was being shown in one of the Shops in Glasgow bitd.
all stood around ooing and ahhing
Nobody was interested in the Kleins they usually sold, :LOL:

These were great bikes but the rocker set up combined with the leverage ratio put the shock and surrounding hardware under massive loads and they tended to go pop.

I only recall ever seeing one raced.

For the brakes you need to find Hope C2's with Sport levers - these would be period and would work with the 185 and 165 F/R set up as they should be

That is a jolly nice looking bike. I have one of these myself sitting in the garage, built it up in about 2003 and had no problem with the brakes. I fitted Hope M4s think they are 203mm up front and 185mm on the rear. As far as sorting the chainring out, I used a Middleburn RS DH crank with a 36tooth chainring. I decided to run it as a singlespeed for a weekends uplift at inners so took the ring off the shock, got the chain the right length, then set up an old Deore LX rear mech to aid with any retention issues. Got a few admiring glances...

Having just found your forum im might be tempted to restore to its original glory ie clean it and replace the bits ive robbed since riding it.

Back