cinder cone year?

project2

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I recently purchased a cinder cone circa 1992, which is one smooth and peppy ride by the by. I would very much appreciate if someone could pinpoint the year?

The colour is olive green.
Stem is Velocity
The fork is Project 2
Driveset is suntour xc ltd
"The Bicycle Group" logo is on the frame

Thank You

Thanks! 1991 it is.

Other than the colour, that is the bike precisely! I'll see if I can get a picture up.

Thanks for the link!

pics

Here is a link to view a pic.

[/url]http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/xtDG4RlrqFSQc2BeWEQe9w?feat=directlink/

That link doesn't work for me.

The most evident difference between 1991 and 1992 is that the 91s had a braze-on seat clamp and the 92s had a removable seat clamp.

Is your green Cinder Cone anything like this 1991 example?

Attachments

• 1991 Cinder Cone frame size 18.jpg
    1991 Cinder Cone frame size 18.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,531
frame pic

That is exactly the frame. A good deal of my confusion was created by the '91 catalogue that specified the colour as gold. Apologies for the lack of photos. I've been having a terrible struggle posting pics.

I like the colour very much. My modest collection of photos is far from complete, but I have no picture of a 91 Cinder Cone in the catalogue colour, whereas yours is the third olive green example I've seen. So maybe they just made a batch in olive green, or maybe there was a change of mind between the mock-ups for the brochure and the actual production.

Up to 1990, the frames were made in Taiwan and then shipped to the US to be hand finished (braze-ons etc) and painted (including spatter) by the artist and frame builder Paul Brodie. 1991 was the first year when they were finished and painted in Taiwan and I have heard some stories that they came back in the colours that the Taiwanese facory liked and not necessarily as specified by Kona. If so, then in this case my tastes are very much with the Taiwanese and not with Kona!

Back