WANTED - Beginners Road bike

badboybennyg

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys

I have been directed over here from Bike Radar after posting the following....

"Hi Guys

I am desperate to get on the road following a few years MTB’ing where have I got fed up being chased by dogs and riding round creepy deserted woods. Anyway I am on a very small budget of £200 and know that at that price 2nd hand is my only route for a semi-decent road bike.

Can anybody please tell me any classic road bikes names (I am guessing mass produced in order to be able find one!) that I can search for on Ebay. I know from experience that for example putting in “Raleigh Road Bike” will result in a broad range of bikes in term of quality and price. The trouble is I cant pick out a genuine bargain bike from a cheaply made bike that someone had as a kid and is making room in their shed by shifting for a few quid.

Are there tell tale things to look for e.g. frame material, types of gears, other components and as I said are there some keywords I can bang in to bring back some decent used bikes?

Thanks a bunch

Ben "

and

"Hi

I am looking for a decent used bike that will get me started out on the road. I have been advised elsewhere on the forum that I should be able to pick up a decent 80's/90's Peugeot or similar for around this price or less with a Reynolds frame.

I am about 5"10 with a stumpy 30" inside leg.

I am in Milton Keynes

Thanks

Ben "

Can anyone here help please.

I just want to cycle for heavens sake!! It's proving v hard to find a bike.

Thanks all in advance

Ben

Welcome,
You have found the right (or wrong) :) place here!
Im sure one of the guys will come up with something good for you - I have nothing at the moment. Have a trawl through the road forum to see what looks good and you can get an idea of what you can get for your money in the older for sale threads.
You will probable be looking for something in the 51-53cm range size wise.
Warning - this place can seriously damage your wallet!

Cheers

I've got a 50cm Shogun Team Issue that should fit the bill. Its a few year old but has pretty decent spec kit - Campag Ergo 8spd Athena Groupset, Mavic Rims and Cinelli Bars and stem. I'll even throw in a spare unused wide ration block to go with the close ratio race block that's on there at the moment and some black bar tape instead of the bright stuff on there at the mo.

£150 plus shipping any good??

Pics are here but bear in mind it is now less the Spinacci bars and pedals - http://picasaweb.google.com/Tuttonp/Shogun02#

Back