Bike for the Alps

cchris2lou":224d9tmv said:
the hills in the alps are long and dont give much time to recover .

Managed the Pyrennes a couple of years ago on 48/34 (homemade compact of a White Industries chainset minus granny ring) and 12-27 (via an 80s Dura Ace rear mech) without combusting and rode the Gran Fondo Campagnolo in the Dolomites on the same setup on what is now John's Corsa Extra.

So I figure, and being serious for a moment, that a 48/34 proper compact and a 28t or 30t at the back would be a possibility.

Gravitating towards the Merckx or even possibly the Raleigh with it's non aero brake levers (might need new brake pads on the single pivots though).

Now this where the limited experience of us council estate rats comes into play - the farthest distance cycled any given day being just further than the top shops....

Its flat around here, flat I tells ya. no practice for inclines

ededwards":2m0p3ygy said:
cchris2lou":2m0p3ygy said:
the hills in the alps are long and dont give much time to recover .

Managed the Pyrennes a couple of years ago on 48/34 (homemade compact of a White Industries chainset minus granny ring) and 12-27 (via an 80s Dura Ace rear mech) without combusting and rode the Gran Fondo Campagnolo in the Dolomites on the same setup on what is now John's Corsa Extra.

So I figure, and being serious for a moment, that a 48/34 proper compact and a 28t or 30t at the back would be a possibility.

Gravitating towards the Merckx or even possibly the Raleigh with it's non aero brake levers (might need new brake pads on the single pivots though).

i dont doubt your abilities . :D

in 2003 i rode alp d'huez on my fausto coppi galaxy, i decided not to buy a wider cassette for climbing as i'd only be doing it once and i hadn't struggled to much when training the previous week from morzine to avoriaz etc so i hit the start of the alp and went up the initial part of the climb(about 500yds) in big ring, 53-19 then i hit the first hairpin . . . . from there on i ground my way up in 1st gear till the top. painful.

moral of story . . . . don't attempt al d'huez with 39/53 11-23 gearing unless you are a powerhouse climber! i recently got my condor and bought it deliberately with climbing gears, i have put my normal set up on it but have kept the compact etc for the alps, i won't be making that mistake again!! :LOL:

jonnyboy666":306z0dir said:
in 2003 i rode alp d'huez on my fausto coppi galaxy, i decided not to buy a wider cassette for climbing as i'd only be doing it once and i hadn't struggled to much when training the previous week from morzine to avoriaz etc so i hit the start of the alp and went up the initial part of the climb(about 500yds) in big ring, 53-19 then i hit the first hairpin . . . . from there on i ground my way up in 1st gear till the top. painful.

moral of story . . . . don't attempt al d'huez with 39/53 11-23 gearing unless you are a powerhouse climber! i recently got my condor and bought it deliberately with climbing gears, i have put my normal set up on it but have kept the compact etc for the alps, i won't be making that mistake again!! :LOL:

Wise words - to be honest I can see no merit in not fitting a compact and a saucer sized largest sprocket for continental climbs, better to have another gear in reserve than be practicing trackstands in 42x21

Ok, so I have modified the Merckx for lengthy climbs, as pictured (although saddle will drop half an inch).

Interestingly the rear mech is supposed to take a 26t rear sprocket as the largest. I slung some wheels in with a 32t and as you can see the rear mech seems to take it in it's stride without looking overly stretched or stressed. Haven't tried it under load yet but looking good (and I have a medium cage mech in reserve just in case).

Only thing left is to fit a shorter axled b/b as the front mech can't really cope with the new chainset fitted - removing a 20 year old fixed cup is a job I'll have to leave to the LBS!

Attachments

• Climbing Merckx rear mech.JPG
    Climbing Merckx rear mech.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 697
I did some riding in the Alps a few years ago and just as a bailout put a 39x27 bottom gear on,1st ride out didn't need it and thought why did I bother,then the next day used it a bit and so on until by the end of the week it was the most used gear!
I was in the Alps to watch the tour and the variety of bikes I saw was immense from old skool stuff to my DeRosa :oops:
If I was going again I would deffo fit a compact chainset,not cos the climbs are steep but because after doing a few days of hour long climbs followed by 10 mins descent followed by hour long climb its nice to spin a bit!
I went there with a local pro and it took me over a month to recover :shock:

Remember the coming down bit. Ancient brake on steel rims will test your descending skills - and the roads won't be closed so you need to stay on the right.

terryhfs":2s49nlds said:
Remember the coming down bit. Ancient brake on steel rims will test your descending skills - and the roads won't be closed so you need to stay on the right.

The decents were amazing,hit 60 mph comoing back from Meribel :cool: I was on a fairly modern bike with duel pivots but I think Eds a pretty strong guy though :LOL:

Good stuff chaps, totally agree about braking as I'm far from a fearless descender but the combination of dual pivots and ceramic rims will, hopefully, see me right.

Below is the full on beast.

Attachments

• Climbing Merckx full.JPG
    Climbing Merckx full.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 677

Latest posts

Back