Area Groups - sub forums needed !

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Could the Area Groups be split in to actual subforums so we can have cohesive talk for the areas.
One long thread is not really the best way to do it :roll: , when we could use the forums proper individual posting style in section subforums (keeps it neat and tidy) but allow people to follow the talk.

Currently we have what is akin to a stickied for sale thread, which just wouldn't work)

I'm not going to read through 15 sheets of post and patch together which ride refers to what and filter out just the chat :(

for what I mean see here http://www.phpbb.com/community/index.php

each of the phpBB 3.0.x forum sections has a few sub forums.

ill raise my hand too

if at some point a calendar was added i wouldnt be totally against it . si had put a load of things together in a list which is great but ive managed to forget where it is :oops: id like to start throwing dates around to get a largeish group in the east midlands out but dont want it to clash with things at or near the same time not a million miles away . ive completely lost track of whats happening where and when :(

Agreed here too!

As ever things aren't that simple.

We do need to make the move tho phpbb3 but I need to make a couple of custom mods to the forum before this can happen. Basically I've not had/got time currently.

When this move occurs area groups sub forums will be possible and implemented. In the meantime threads will have to do - sorry.

Calendar also a good idea. Again time is my/our enemy :cry:

Right then, just my 2p worth...
To make matters easier until these changes can be made may I propose a calender be started in the rides section as a sticky thread?
If John is busy I will run it for him. When a ride is sorted just PM it in and it can be added to the list.
We could discuss rides and meets etc. in the regional sections and when a time, date, place and contact is decided it can be added to the list. I have the time to keep on top of the list should John want me to and providing it does not get cluttered with posts- just keep the one post with the calendar on it- it should provide a solution until something can be made more permanant.
Once an area has decided on / organised a ride, they can then post up a separate thread in Rides section to 'go public'
Area groups could also put a separate updated calender of their own section rides and meets on the first post of their section just like MacRetro and NE&Yorks have done.

We should then end up with..

1> Area group for local chat banter, proposing a ride and getting organised. This would also contain smaller local meets and rides that are unlikely to be of little intrerest to a wider audience- therefore keeping other sections free of clutter.

2> Calendar for premier events / main section rides that are likely to be of interest to all and to act as a quick glance to see whats on across all areas. This would be a more indepth version of what exists in the top corner of the homepage.

3> Rides section to be used to pitch the ride once planned to the greater mass as its always done.

This way we avoid rides and events falling flat as its only publised in an area group that won't get read outside that area and therefore fragmenting the site too much. Should also making modding easier for those concerned.

The area groups are in an early stage and with time we can look back and refine the concept- until then its maybe a good idea to work within the framework we have and work from there??

What do you think guys??

Cheers
Si

I'll moderate the speshul 'Skip divers' forum - that way there wont be so many posts whining that its not a FAT or Klein someone's dumped....

Back