best road pedal?

i rock my mtb petals because i have 1 set of shoes and 1 set of pedals for 4 bikes

for myself

my dad however rocks the OLD time pedals, circa 1990 ish (maybe earlier...)

with some look shoes

and theyve lasted forever

seem like they are boat anchors, but really they dont add too much weight, and i dont think you could break them even if you tried

hes put thousands upon thousands of miles on them, the screws in the shoes are so flat i dont even think he can change the cleats anymore from usage

Pedals - spd

I, like others have tried a variety of pedals. Started out with the first version of the look pedals and shoes then migrated to the time pedals in early 90's with Sidi shoes. I moved to the spd's when they first came out I think they were 737's and they were great, upgraded to 747, etc. I gave the speedplays ago and whilst I liked the float I got the hot foot and pain in the arch. I was not sure whether this was due to the shoes, Nike which I found too narrow or whether it was the speedplay cleats. Also to add another dimension to the discussion I use orthotics but I don't have the issue with SPD's and specialized shoes. I changed back to spd's as that is what I have on the MTB and use a couple of sets on various road bikes and they are find for me. Horses for courses as it is a bit like the campy vs shimano debate. Get the ones that work the best for you, try a mates setup etc. Whilst people argue that MTB shoes and spd's are not as stiff. I have a mate that was a national class rider who would kick my ass riding in spds on his mtb and spd's and I was on a road bike with time pedals. Suffice to say the answer is also dependent on the type of riding you are doing. Sorry to add to the confusion, spd's for me but I am about to try campy pedals because I can.
Cheers,
Andrew

Shimano SL have the lowest 'V' factor and a very wide platform to prevent hot foot but are expensive.

speed play give great float options but you need to be careful as you are walking on the clip/moving part of the unit (major potential for shoe malfunction after the coffee stop).

Look Keo offer the best lower-priced and mid-ranged pedals by a mile (but have a high-ish 'V' factor).

sticking with MTB spd's does make life easier as you never have to work out which shoe goes with which bike.

egg beaters give amazing float and brilliant mud clearance and are super light (but fall apart and are not adjustable for tension)

Look quartz give a larger platform than any other 'mtb' pedal and the £45 version is lighter than xtr. good on and off road (look stupid and are not adjustable for tension).

Time (can't comment in depth but they have had a couple of recalls and people complain about the lack of adjust-ability over the ball of the foot).

any help?

all views expressed herein are mine and as such are mine. can not be used in conjunction with any other offer.

Back