Buying a Headset Press, worth it ??

orange71":11wtek9e said:
what's wrong with a hammer and a block of wood? ;)

nothing according to one of my lbs's, only they'd prefer to not bother with the block of wood bit. :)

I won't name and shame, but taht was the last time they saw either my Pace or me.

Now that does look like a decent piece of kit for the price...very tempted ..

I do have a frame that I could experiment on with the wood/hammer idea .. might try that and see how it goes.

i always use one like Steve K's, although hammer and wood or even a rubber mallet is effective!

Personally I'd spend the money on the tool used to seat the lower race on the forks and teh one to remove the headsets. I've seen more people f up headsets by wrecking the lower race using hammers and screwdrivers and the like than people f up a headset with a block of wood and a hammer. The removal tool also saves cash in the long run as you're less likely to wreck the cups or ovalise the headtube with one of those than with the screwdriver hitting one side of the cup anf then the other technique!

Length of poly pipe is perfect for installing the lower race.

When I was young and green I used the block of wood/hammer method, the home made press is much better and very cheap!

Don't use a screwdriver to remove cups as it's made of steel and damages them, copper drift/shaft of hammer etc against the inside lip of the cups is fine.

:)

problem with threaded bar DIY job is that it doesn't self align, so easy to push in angled unless you are careful.

Back