Mavic Crossride's - Any good?

njgoldby

Retro Guru
I need a new set of cheapish wheels for my commuter. Was looking at two options.

Mavic Crossride non disk 9 (quoted weight 1.75KG Pr)

Merlins XT non disk with Mavic XC 717 SS DB spokes

Cross rides about £15-20 more but look lighter on paper. Anyone got any who can advise either way.

Any other recommends?

Got the Crossride disk version on my Kona Cindercone, cannot be faulted for the price.

REKIBorter":3222qdxz said:
Got the Crossride disk version, cannot be faulted for the price.

Ditto, although if handbuilt wheels are within your budget i'd still go for them. Merlins wheels are excellant in my experience.

I went for the Crossrides as they were part of a deal for wheels and groupset at a stupidly cheap price.

I've had a few sets of wheels built at Merlins myself and can't fault them. But by my calculations the Handbuilt xt + 717 would be about 200g heavier.
Just wanted to check the Cross rides are ok. To be honest the bike has slicks on and the worst action it sees is the odd kerb jump or pot hole.

I've had a few sets of wheels built at Merlins myself and can't fault them. But by my calculations the Handbuilt xt + 717 would be about 200g heavier.
Just wanted to check the Cross rides are ok. To be honest the bike has slicks on and the worst action it sees is the odd kerb jump or pot hole.

I have a set of crossrides on my Kona. Had them for 12 mths plus. Not a bad wheel for the money they came from merlin.
Have had slight issue with the back wheel were spoke loosen on non drive side. It is the disc version. Bit of a pain to tighten the spokes as they can tend to twist around slightly so need to be held in place.
Personally would go for a std set.
The crossrides do look good though.

Mike.

I have a set of crossrides on my Kona. Had them for 12 mths plus. Not a bad wheel for the money they came from merlin.
Have had slight issue with the back wheel were spoke loosen on non drive side. It is the disc version. Bit of a pain to tighten the spokes as they can tend to twist around slightly so need to be held in place.
Personally would go for a std set.
The crossrides do look good though.

Mike.

Merlin laced up some Mavic 517s to my White/Campag hubs years ago, and they're still tight and true. Very impressively built for the modest cost.

Merlin laced up some Mavic 517s to my White/Campag hubs years ago, and they're still tight and true. Very impressively built for the modest cost.

(what's with this double posting thing? :? )

Back