Lighter wheels for a Claud Butler Dalesman - suggestions?

Chesterbell

Dirt Disciple
I'm currently- well have been for 25 years- running Maillard large flange hubs with alloy (unknown) rims (27 x 1 1/4)

They seem heavy compared with some 700s I acquired on a Dawes.

Any suggestions for lighter wheels. Could it be the large 6 speed block- 13 - 32 which makes the difference?

I've tried the 700s, but the higher tyre pressure made for a harsher ride. What makes the difference- the wheel size or the tyre pressure?

The tyres will make a bigger difference than the rims could. And obviously, if you stick with 27 x 1 1/4, your options for different widths are rather more limited than with 700c.
Still, if you like the bike, the upgrade may be worth it.

If you stick with the 27"s then Panaracer Pasela are about the best tyre you can get. Rim-wise the choice is limited to what you can find.

Frankly, as 27" went obsolete about 25 years ago, I wouldn't bother going to the cost of new wheels in a very obsolete size.

For 700c I would you for Mavic Open Pro rims. 23c-25c tyres should work well, and a Campagnolo front hub which is nice and shiny.

For the rear, I would re-space the back of the bike from 126mm to 130mm, and fit a modern road hub. Shimano still make downtube shifters, which opens opportunities for something still looking right.

Remember that you brake callipers may not reach, so you'll need some others for the slightly smaller 700c wheels. I have some spare and barely used Alhonga deep drop callipers, PM me if interested.

However, you will then need more playing about if you continue with 6 speed. I would go with 9, simply because of the same obsolescence issues. At this point you may need a new chainset.

All this is building up to the point that once you start an upgrade path on a very old bike you can get into a spiral. Think carefully as to what you want - a bike to ride or specifically to update the Claud. If it's just a rider, then have a look as to what modern stuff is on offer. You should be able to break the Claud for bits and get a couple of hundred for it with a little luck.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the advice and links. I want to stay retro, so will keep to 27s as long as bits are available.

Do you think that you can spot 700s instead of 27s- they seem very similar in size.

700c

You might need deeper brakes. I think Mavic G40's are still available old stock in 27" but its maybe not worth it.

If you go 700c it opens up a new range of rims and tyres. For that bike I would recommend Ambrosio Evolution rims. Last for years and the braking surface is thicker than Open Pros so will be able to cope better with heavier braking. If you do loaded touring, the Excursion rims are even better - and cheaper!

Back