home cinema

Now, having worked for some famous (mostly defunct) Hifi brands, I have NEVER come across females into our silly hobby - I worked in sales, installation, design, support, shows at Earls Court and everything...

not one female of the species.....

:shock:

Depending on the sophistication of the equipment, if you dont have room for a sub, big front speakers will be able to do the grunty stuff. You tell the amp/ processor 'no sub installed' - it should then pass the .5 LFE channel through the main front L & R

legrandefromage":21ob7w4n said:
Now, having worked for some famous (mostly defunct) Hifi brands, I have NEVER come across females into our silly hobby - I worked in sales, installation, design, support, shows at Earls Court and everything...

Depending on the sophistication of the equipment, if you dont have room for a sub, big front speakers will be able to do the grunty stuff. You tell the amp/ processor 'no sub installed' - it should then pass the .5 LFE channel through the main front L & R

I do have a lot of boy hobbies! I don't think my mum approves though, she can't understand why I have "drainpipes" running around the edge of the room :roll: However she is very good about making my black out blinds for me :D

Sub is definitely required, room isn't that small, it's just not the whacking great extension it was in when I bought it originally. I should fiddle about setting it up properly again to be honest but it sounds fab as it is so there is no real drive to do it... Besides, I'm not going to 'store' a grands worth of sub!!

OldSchoolGirly":7kukjgja said:
legrandefromage":7kukjgja said:

I do have a lot of boy hobbies! I don't think my mum approves though, she can't understand why I have "drainpipes" running around the edge of the room :roll: However she is very good about making my black out blinds for me :D

Sub is definitely required, room isn't that small, it's just not the whacking great extension it was in when I bought it originally. I should fiddle about setting it up properly again to be honest but it sounds fab as it is so there is no real drive to do it... Besides, I'm not going to 'store' a grands worth of sub!!

Depends on how the room was built - plaster board walls/ floor boards require big subs as they absorb alot of low frequencies. Thats why American amplification is so HUUUGE. Their homes are built differently to UK homes. Our small compact rooms with (mostly) double brick walls means we only need weedy little amps/ speakers to make a big noise.

legrandefromage":3svpz591 said:
OldSchoolGirly":3svpz591 said:
legrandefromage":3svpz591 said:

Depends on how the room was built - plaster board walls/ floor boards require big subs as they absorb alot of low frequencies. Thats why American amplification is so HUUUGE. Their homes are built differently to UK homes. Our small compact rooms with (mostly) double brick walls means we only need weedy little amps/ speakers to make a big noise.

My lounge is...

Concrete floors
3 external walls
1 internal plasterboard wall

if I was putting a system into this room I wouldn't have gone for what I have, but I intend to move house at some point and having a seperate cinema room back again is top of the requirements list, hate having it in the lounge.

Now, where did I put that lottery ticket... ;)

OldSchoolGirly":b92e95n3 said:
legrandefromage":b92e95n3 said:
OldSchoolGirly":b92e95n3 said:
legrandefromage":b92e95n3 said:

My lounge is...

Concrete floors
3 external walls
1 internal plasterboard wall

if I was putting a system into this room I wouldn't have gone for what I have, but I intend to move house at some point and having a seperate cinema room back again is top of the requirements list, hate having it in the lounge.

Now, where did I put that lottery ticket... ;)

The best advice I can give is if your processor generates test tones - buy a sound level meter - the best Home Cinema gadget ever made.

Back