1994 Kona Hot - updated progress pic 25th May

Thanks!

Its number TT1413

I'll be keeping it in its original Black paint for a little while as its growing on me. But it wouldnt be my first choice of colours, and as I said, the decals are peeling off, so a nice respray in my choice of colour would make it more of My bike rather than feel like a second hand one - if you see what I mean?!

That looks like a very well used example you have there. Any more pictures or details?

Right, just got round to test fitting some of the parts now they have all arrived. Here is an updated pic before she goes off to have the headset pressed in and bb & cranks swapped over for some XTR M950 ones.

DSC00885.jpg

So, I'm getting excited as it is nearly ready, looking forward to getting it out on the trails!

nice to see a HOT in nyc.

I would've gone with a m900 xtr kit all around, with an IRD seatpost and salsa stem.
For a fork, a mag21 or something by marzocchi.

Please consider selling me the frame if you ever tire of it...this was a hot topic here on retrobike when it was first discovered on craigslist :D

till then, good luck with the build :)

The forks look well on it, I quite like the retromodern thing. Not feeling it for the wheels, though.

Any chance of a pic of the Spesh saddle please that you're removing?

If it's the one I'm after I'd be interested in buying it off you!

And keep the paint I say!

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was really torn over what direction to go with this build - authentic retro or roughly in the right era. In the end I just went with stuff that I always wanted when I was first into bikes BITD.

I remember really liking the look of the M950 group set with the dark grey finish, so that was my first choice. Same with some Magura's - always hankered after some but couldnt afford it. The forks were a big dilemma. Much as I wanted some older forks, I really didnt like the look of them. Again, always wanted but could never afford SID's, so when these came up for $55 I grabbed them - I think they match perfectly with the frame and I'll probably get them adjusted down to 63mm travel if possible to get the geo a bit better.

I agree on the comment with the wheels though and have a set of Mavic 517's with the M950 Hubs that are my preference. However, went to fit them last night and no rim tape on the wheels so just popped these on for now. The finished article will have the Mavic's and XTR hubs.

Hi,

The saddle is not in the best of shape. The back is quite scuffed up and the colour is very faded. Here is the best pic I have for it at the moment.

DSC00824.jpg

I need to get around to cleaning up all the old parts and listing them on here and/or ebay, so will get some better pictures soon and let you know.

Rich

Rich - please can you let me know when you've got better pics and more details on the saddle?

Been after one for a while now...

Cheers.

Back