Integrated headsets ?

Xesh":36tzxi09 said:
Internal headsets use cups that fit inside the headtube (like Giant bikes use). Integrated headsets have a profiled headtube where the bearings fit directly into it without the use of cups (like various road bikes and BMXs).
??

my giant TCR definitely has an integrated headset. Head tube is hour glass shaped. Integrated is crap, but is the way road bikes have gone - cheaper to make, easy to fit and aesthetically pleasing.
Wear out fast, hard to adjust, eventually knackers the headtube.

im with xesh . you do realise intergrated is the one that has the cartridge bearings sitting on conical seats in the tube . i wouldnt say they were hard to remove , just use a finger

and chris king would say that wouldnt they :roll: it would be marketing suicide if they didnt

Having ovalised a cup and cone headset when running it loose (on a long Audax) then it's no disaster - and I replaced the headset.

A loose headset writing off a frame is a pretty bad design flaw.

And let's face it, CK could make the bearings for an integrated headset, it's not like it's beyond them.

It's adopted simply because it saves assembly time and machining by bike builders. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better. All those fancy splined BBs had undersized bearings. Life for Octalink and ISIS etc BBs seemed nasty, brutish and short.

pigman":2otbaqqf said:
my giant TCR definitely has an integrated headset.

Yes, I know some of the TCRs have integrated headsets but the vast majority of Giants use internal. As the saying goes there are always exceptions to every rule. ;)

I've not found any headset type better than another. As long as they're fitted properly and kept correctly adjusted and maintained there shouldn't be any problems.

Back