Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
yo.

i have a dream. but i keep waking up.

my original idea was to build a retro frame with modern kit as i really dont like the way my modern bike rides. i bought a kona kileua, stripped it and started the rebuild. i got stuck with a bolt on disc converter (didnt want to mess with the frame permanently untill i knew i was happy with the ride)

the converter wont work with my frame and i got chatting to a mate who is up on his modern bike stuff. he originally suggested a rock lobster and although i really like them they are out of my price range for this project. his next suggestion was the inbred.

steel good geometry perfect for what i want. i like a small bike under me, hate the new sit up and beg riding position. am i barking up the wrong tree? anybody own one of these? any other frame suggestions for under £200?

chars

It sounds like it'd be perfect for you. Very low, racerish position, which is the reason I got rid of mine - they are **very** long in the top tube. I believe in fixies owns my old Inbred now.
But in a different league from anything else at that price.

I have one, 16" geared, and it is very long. Most people don't like it but I do, the extra length in the TT gives a really good riding position. The frame quality is not all that great but for the price, you won't get a better frame.

Its either that or buy something second hand. The Orange P7 came with disc mounts as standard from 1999 and you could probably pick up a frame for around £100. The quality would be far better then the inbred and the geometry won't be far off, although a little shorter in the TT.

I don't know if it has different geometry from the steel frame but my Ti Inbred was no longer than most other frames I've used.

I was recommended to use an 80mm stem on the 18" frame! :shock: Once I'd measured the top tube I ended up using a 120mm one instead and got the perfect position for me. The 80mm stem would have turned it into a Ti Raleigh shopper. :LOL: :LOL:

I had one with a full grey XTR build, rigid forks and twin pot red Grimeca disks mated to Hope Sport levers.

It was cack - it wasnt the top tube length, it was the ride, just not springy enough for a steel frame. I was very disapointed and sold it on.

Have a look round this site, there'll be something suitable for sale by someone.

i couldnt agree more that you get what you pay for. i liike the sound of the inbred but that pipedream looks a beaut

Thinking out of the box here, why not fit a Magura hydraulic rear rim brake to the Kilauea? Will stop you on a dime reliably, combines well with hydraulic discs on the front and you get to keep the nice frame and it's superior ride. Do a search for Magura rim brakes, they are well liked, also on modern kit.

caveat, I have no experience with Inbreds just following what is said above. personally I would have a hard time "downgrading" the ride for the sake of the rear brake. Go magura, and if you like the ride you can braze on the disc tabs.

Enjoy!!

Back