1988 Stumpjumper (enlarged pics added)

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Thought I would post my recently acquired 1988 Stumpjumper.
purchased from forum member oaep7.
Have been very busy with work for the last few months but had a few hours today and thought I would give it a shakedown ride in the local forest. It needs a few things doing/servicing but thought a good ride would show anything else up.
Its a 88 model and is pretty much original with the exception of the IRC Mythos tyres and maybe the saddle, but everything else is as it left the factory. Deore headset, thumbies, mechs, chainset, brakes and levers - canti front U brake rear and hubs. Rims, bars, stem etc all standard specialized. It has a few chips etc but the components are hardly used or marked such as chainrings mech etc. really clean.
To say I am pleased is a major understatement. It rode like a dream despite needing the front hub rebuilt/tightened. It fit like a glove and we just seemed to work together like old friends reunited. Lighter than I remembered and the 18 speeds more than adequate. I actually thought I might find that hard to get used to again after mainly riding my modern Stumpy the last few years. The same concerns were for the U brake but a quick adjustment and it was far more powerful than i remember.
Anyway I had to share one of those great rides that come upon you when you least expect it. Certainly the terrain was easy going local wood type tracks, nothing taxing. Considering I thought I would go out for 20 mins to see what needed servicing and stayed out for a couple of hours just grinning like mad thinking this is what its all about and how lucky I am means this Stumpy will be seeing a lot of miles from now on.
Thanks must go to Dan for selling it to me.
Cheers mate

Jamie

IMG_0931-1.jpg

IMG_0940-1.jpg

IMG_0932-1.jpg

Looks great, even the plastic spoke protector!

Would look even better I think with some amber walls

Looks very good :xmas-cool:

Brings back happy memories. Few of the lads I started riding with back in 90 had stumpys and rockhoppers from that era in similar colour schemes.

Very tidy bike jamie, love the colours and esp. the stem and bar arrangement, looks very comfy- you fancy bringing it along to the macretro meet at dunkeld?

Stumpy

Hi guys
Thanks for the kind words.
Ed I agree it does need some amberwalls, a control front and a master rear. The spoke protector is shiny clear plastic! normally, if, these are left on they are hazed and cracked within a short period but like most things on it are in amazing condition for 20 years.
And it has Biopace rings which I forgot all about while riding.
I will try for Dunkeld, just didnt want to commit till I knew I could. I have been working seven days a week for the past few months but thats about to start easing back. Hopefully I will be there maybe even with my 94 Stumpy FSR if I can get it finished.
I didnt build this one, Specialized did, I just took the pictures and smiled as I rode away ;)

Cheers
Jamie

Cool. :cool: A friend of mine had the rockhopper whichad blue/ purple in place of the red.

Always nice to see a survivor

Lovin it :cool: I'm definitely being drawn to the old garish colour schemes and on a stumpy like this it would be perfect.(another project added :LOL: )

ps good sig too :LOL:

Very Cool.

One of these was my first real mountain bike. It had canti mounts brazed on to negate the U brakes mud clogging properties. Really loved the bike - just before it was stolen is was painted yellow with Kona decals on! :roll: :oops: :LOL:

I'll see if I have a picture.......

My first MTB was an 88 Hardrock and i would look endlessly at the stumpy in the catalogue. The Hardrock had a U brake on the chainstay, some cheap crap but I purchased a second hand XT one from a lad at school, worked fantastic when clean! Very envious of you stumpy.

Back