My Pinarello Rombo + my intro

rienster

Retro Guru
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd finally introduce myself on here. Have been around for roughly a year, and absolutely loving this site. Log on a few times a day at least.
I've always been the kind of guy who uses his bike until it falls apart (and then still tried to fix it up). Never understood why peole spend loads a money on old bikes and parts. But I've gotten hooked on this site, and have to admit that I bought a retro frame on the bay last week.
But enough about me, I guess you're more interested in my (current, not the new one) bike. It's an early nineties Pinarello Rombo, made of Columbus Oria aluminium tubing. It's got a mix of parts on it. Original Zoom stem and Kalloy seatstay. Also the original xtr front derralieur. An old Rolls seat (knackered) and Suntour xc front hub with araya rim. Most of the other parts are a bit newer, like the deore cranks and xt rear derralieur. Not because I like them, just didn't have the cash for anything else at the time.
Went riding on saturday here around Oslo and took a few pics. Froze my nuts off, but had a good time anyway. Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• PB290080.JPG
    PB290080.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,520
  • PB290082.JPG
    PB290082.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,520
  • PB290085.JPG
    PB290085.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,520
welcome to the site mate :D

Looks really snowy in Norway :shock:

Anyhow bike is interesting, any non-snow pics. Who built the frame for pinarello. Should get some decent pics of it up in readers bikes...

Cheers, will post some better pics later.
Not sure who built these. One of my mates has an old Concorde with the same tubing, which looks very similar. Lovely bike, really stiff and reasonably light for its time.

Welcome to the site. Its a great place isn't it? :) The weather looks awsome in Norway, could do with being somewhere like that right now!

The bike looks cool, nice and practical looking :cool: Whats this retro frame you've bought, and will it be a resto job or all the parts you wanted bitd, or dare i say it modern( :shock: ) parts? ;) :cool:

Looks nice :cool: , not a fan of all that snow though, feel freezing just looking at the pics :) , cold here in Scotland at the moment but probably not as cold as Norway :LOL:

It is a great place indeed, this site!! Sitting at work right now and am bored out of my brains. Always nice to browse around here.

Weather here has been good, but right now it's snowing. I'm afraid that there will be too much snow soon to cycle. Can't be too bad in scotland. At least if you love muddy rides, as I do :twisted: .

The Pinarello is very practical, but could do with a few upgrades. Thinking of getting an orange seat and grips. Would look awesome with the purple frame (doesn't show well on the pics). And right now the brakes are worn down to its absolute minimum (scary ride home).

The frame I've just bought is a Look ATB47 'global rider' (see pic). Steel frame, tange prestige tubing. Must be very light. And there will be no modern parts on this bike :p . Although I am considering 9 speed :oops: . We'll see. I don't think It'll become too blingy. No ano bits for me. Thinking of light parts, perhaps a few titanium bits. It's going to be a bike for using, not a garage queen.

Attachments

• look2.jpg
    look2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,458
Hi Reinster and welcome to the slippery slope that is Retrobike, but by the look of our pictures you are a qualified entrtant ;)

Love your bikes, both of them "off the beaten path" models, but me thinks of high quality. I remember the Rombo from BITD as a leading Dutch MTB mafgazine included one in a group test and I saw one in the flesh just that same month. I can;t tell from your pictures, byt the one I saw had a very "Italian" funky multi coloured paint job.

And I was watching the Look frame too, nearly bidding against you but decided 3 frames "waiting" is enough :oops: it was a great deal you got there.

As for Oslo, I've been there a few times for work, few days each trip. LOve Oslo too, it's a bit like Amsterdam less tons of low rent schtuff. Two Biking impressions: All Mountain and gravity bikes on the back of 4x4s climbing up the Holmenkollen and, proper retro, a lovely Klein Adroit in Koi (orange and yellow linear fade) parked outside a delicatesse near the Parliament.

The Klein was more than remarkable: very clean, Spinergy 4 spokes, and ... no kidding, a trailer with kiddies seats.

Enjoy!!

The Look is nice :cool: , i like the colour scheme, not seen many
Look's on here at all, your plans for the build sound fine, sounds
like it will be a very classy, understated build :cool:

Latest posts

Back