27.5 wheel in 26er forks?

MCsanandreas

Mountain Cycle Fan
Feedback
View
Could I use a 27.5 front wheel in 26er forks? I have enough clearance as I have already checked that. Any problems that could be caused? Need to be running rim brakes and cannot find rigid 27.5 forks with rim brake posts, do they exist?

Re:

If rigid, no issues as long as clearance is ok. Exotic forks tend to be available with v mounts in various sizes/a2c.

Re: Re:

ishaw":19isdcva said:
If rigid, no issues as long as clearance is ok. Exotic forks tend to be available with v mounts in various sizes/a2c.

Yep will be going rigid. Cheers for the reply.

The PACE-style band-on brake mounts can be shifted up the fork legs to get the pads in the right place for rim brakes on 27.5. What I currently do is run a disc fork (designed for 26") with the band-on brake posts (and a brake stiffener arch to ensure the posts don't start twisting outwards, which almost certainly is not necessary anyway).

adroitstif":3ccuw82f said:
What I currently do is run a disc fork (designed for 26") with the band-on brake posts (and a brake stiffener arch to ensure the posts don't start twisting outwards, which almost certainly is not necessary anyway).

Which fork are you running?

It's only an unbranded (Russian?) titanium job with straight legs, bought secondhand from a well-known internet auction site. I daresay smarter people than me don't buy secondhand forks, but this one hasn't cracked yet.

adroitstif":3s1iwhy1 said:
It's only an unbranded (Russian?) titanium job with straight legs, bought secondhand from a well-known internet auction site. I daresay smarter people than me don't buy secondhand forks, but this one hasn't cracked yet.

Ooh, any chance of a pic?

Sure, unfortunately that's a 26" wheel at the moment, but hopefully you can see how easily it can swap to 27.5 - loads of room and it's a cinch to shift the brakes further up the fork leg (just back off the two Allen bolts holding the mounts to the fork legs and slide up!)

Attachments

• fork brakes brace 1.jpg
    fork brakes brace 1.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 592
adroitstif":9t1d0chn said:
Sure, unfortunately that's a 26" wheel at the moment, but hopefully you can see how easily it can swap to 27.5 - loads of room and it's a cinch to shift the brakes further up the fork leg (just back off the two Allen bolts holding the mounts to the fork legs and slide up!)
Tidy looking fork there. Hhhhmmmmm.......maybe off to that auction site time!

Back