Newby Single Speed Conversion.

Halfprice

Dirt Disciple
Ok I have to conceed it is getting sticky out there and it is taking its toll on my Giant VT2 - So as a winter hack I am thinking of making my Dave Yates into a ridged single speeder with flex stem an P2 forks.
Havin never ridden single speed I am looking for some pointers.
(currently Maz MX comps which are too long and wreck the geometry)
I am on a tight budget so cant afford a full single speed conversion (new rear wheel BMX chain etc) so I was thinking of getting one of those hub converters and a tensioner. Can I run thi on my existing chain set - minus the big and small chainrings using the 8sp chin that is on there?
The middle ring is a 32 (I Think) so what ratios should I aim for? - fairly flat riding but not particulally fit.

Attachments

• Dave Yates 1.JPG
    Dave Yates 1.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 787
You'll need to fit your middle ring to where the big ring normally resides. You may have to put it on the inside of the spider to get your chainline right and you may also need shorter chainring bolts.

8 speed chain is fine.

32:16 is a good starting point.

Enjoy.

Never been a fan of flexistems but hey, it's your bike!

:)

Thanks for that. This conversion might just be a goer over xmas. Kids permitting etc. I can probably bodge the chain rings onto the spider with an assortment of washerd filed on one side - I have a street / trials bike with a simliar bodge to take up the slack in the chainring bolts. As for the flex stem - the bike was originally built using one and a good condition example has just come inot my possession and the only other stem i have with a 1" quill is currently on my road bike - put there to help stretch out a bit and relieve a poor riding position causing lower back pain.

Buy the Kit on ebay for £7 ( one on every night ) , and a tensioner for not much more .
just cut the bolt with a saw or use a bash ring .

Back