What Year is this Kona

Paul R":2vkr2j3w said:
try soaking with wd40 first

...by removing the Seat tube bottle cage bolts and emptying a can inside through the holes and leaving the frame upside down in the workstand for a couple of days.

al-onestare":1macofje said:
Paul R":1macofje said:

As stated an infinite number of times on this site, WD40 isn't penetrating fluid so it'll have little to zero effect.

I find it penetrates nicely ......oohhh er

al-onestare":27q7morq said:
Paul R":27q7morq said:

As stated an infinite number of times on this site, WD40 isn't penetrating fluid so it'll have little to zero effect.

Point of order number one you can't have stated it an infinite number of times as you just stated it again...

Secondly, if it works it works. For the vast majority of situations...including cytec rated bike workshops...it does work, and the chances are you also have a can of it under your sink...I know being a smart arse is a retrobike "thing" but WD40 does penetrate and it does help in releasing that vast majority of home bike mechanic jobs...

Will WD40 release a seized engine mount bolt from a Land Rover Series 3? Of course it won't. Will it help get a seatpost out of a bike? Of course it does.

Again turn the frame upside down in your workstand, soak it in GT85, WD40 whatever it's all good overnight or longer if possible, use heat, tap it, clamp the post in a vice and use the frame as leverage...it will come out, worst case is you're going to wreck the post....ultimate worst case is going to be reaming the post out but honestly I can't say I ever saw that more than once and that was on some crazy expensive Colnago Master...where saving the frame at all cost was worth it.

It soaked for about 2 days, today I checked and half the liquid or more was gone. I assume evaporated. No success. And I did dip the post only, in ice water. Tried twisting by grabbing the seat, then hammering it... Again no success. Now soaking it again.

The last time I had a stuck seatpost I ended up using caustic soda which ruined the frame paint. That was after I had tried everything, I mean everything including freezing it with a cold spray.

simdagger":28mtkbuy said:
al-onestare":28mtkbuy said:
Paul R":28mtkbuy said:

Point of order number one you can't have stated it an infinite number of times as you just stated it again...

Secondly, if it works it works. For the vast majority of situations...including cytec rated bike workshops...it does work, and the chances are you also have a can of it under your sink...I know being a smart arse is a retrobike "thing" but WD40 does penetrate and it does help in releasing that vast majority of home bike mechanic jobs...

Will WD40 release a seized engine mount bolt from a Land Rover Series 3? Of course it won't. Will it help get a seatpost out of a bike? Of course it does.

Again turn the frame upside down in your workstand, soak it in GT85, WD40 whatever it's all good overnight or longer if possible, use heat, tap it, clamp the post in a vice and use the frame as leverage...it will come out, worst case is you're going to wreck the post....ultimate worst case is going to be reaming the post out but honestly I can't say I ever saw that more than once and that was on some crazy expensive Colnago Master...where saving the frame at all cost was worth it.

Crack on!

:D it would be great if WD did actually get stuck seatposts out, would save a lot of time.

Back