new paint job

gregd72002

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

I am slowly getting into refurbishing my old road bike. I believe it is from 90s. So far I have had it stripped down entirely and the frame has been blasted and primed. The frame is steel frame. I am hoping to use one of the Halfords metalic car paints with clear coat on top.

However, I see a lot of people seem to tape off all the bottom bracket opening, seat post opening, etc. before painting.

Why would I want to tape off anything? As said the frame has been nicely blasted and primed as it is all steel, bare frame.

Thanks

You don't want paint in the threads. It will be a pain when you rebuild the bike and could act as a sort of DIY thread lock.

Either mask it off or use an old scrap BB. Mask off any areas where fit is critical like headset cups and don't forget to stuff the seat tube with some tissue or something. Runs can be a pest.

I put grease on these areas and then clean the surface that I want paint to adhere to. Once it’s painted, clean the threads and Head tube with a cloth.

Thanks both! All is now prepared for a base coat. As said, I am intending to put a clear coat on top. Before doing so, do I necessarily have to sand the base coat with a fine grit sanding paper?
Obviously I am trying to save some work in here. What's the risk of spraying clear coat directly on base coat (like 24h after painting?).

gregd72002":2b7f3hk3 said:
Thanks both! All is now prepared for a base coat. As said, I am intending to put a clear coat on top. Before doing so, do I necessarily have to sand the base coat with a fine grit sanding paper?
Obviously I am trying to save some work in here. What's the risk of spraying clear coat directly on base coat (like 24h after painting?).

generally, you wouldn't sand a metallic base beofe clear unless its patchy, blotchy ... in that case you would lay a mist coat.
ideally, spary your clear within 20 mins of applying the base.

Back