1994 Claud Butler Antaeus 7005 (Finished Pg8)

Re: Back to my roots………….

Cheshire1980":3destw1r said:
Am always making a dogs dinner getting grips off, will have to get some of that 303 Aerospace protectant.

Many years ago I watched my friend’s dad remove/refit new grips to his bike for him. I was amazed when he squirted a tiny bit of water in the tiniest gap he had prised between the grip and the bars. They very quickly worked lose with the smallest amount of twisting. Water apparently lubricates rubber and I’ve used that trick every time since. It works in reverse and soon dries out once new grips are fitted. That is of course assuming the grips are made of rubber. Prior to that I remember using WD40 and having them slide off mid ride!

I love the build subject in this thread, look forward to seeing the outcome.

Cheers GTp, didn’t know that about water... sounds like a good idea to try first.... as for WD40? I used it once and watched the grips disintegrate before my eyes!

That’s one of the main things I love about Retrobike, always learning and finding out new stuff. Have ordered some 303 now! :)

Chopstick doesn’t scratch bars. Slide in gently squirt, rotate around grip. And repeat.

The History Man":3503gz7l said:
Chopstick doesn’t scratch bars. Slide in gently squirt, rotate around grip. And repeat.

With or without soy sauce?

I use a plastic camping knife and WD to remove grips, great if someone has felt the need to glue them on, also use it to put them on nowadays, used to use hairspray but as long as you leave it a day to dry out WD works fine, and no twisting, just slide on.

Curious to know what grips disintegrated using WD? just so i know to stay clear, ive never had problems with rubber or foam grips.

Water is ok but dries out really quick, unless you get them on fast you will have a struggle on your hands, also seen people use air lines to put grips on, works a treat.

mk one":3af4jw9w said:
Curious to know what grips disintegrated using WD? just so i know to stay clear, ive never had problems with rubber or foam grips.

It was a pair Grip Shifts from the mid 90’s.... just turned into black mush...

Oh and the clear grips I originally had on my Campy Lotus before I put the bullets on.

So, after the full strip I think my biggest job is going to be getting this frame in some respectable shape....The parts that have been removed will all benefit massively from a deep clean/service obviously, but I think the frame is by far the most tatty single item. :|

After a clean and a quick run through of the B.B. with my trusty Cyclo thread cutter to remove some corrosion, a close inspection revealed that the main issue is the protective layer of clear polycarb has in most places been removed leaving a now dirty residue. This was easily but carefully cleaned with white spirit to remove the adhesive and dirt but not the unprotected foil print.
A few quick measurements and an e-mail to Gil should get me some replacement clear panels in the post pretty soon…

Attachments

• IMG_3550.JPG
    IMG_3550.JPG
    851.5 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    999.7 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3542.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 395

Now then…… Turkey curry is simmering away, all toys fully de-packaged/constructed/batteries installed… now for some ‘me’ time in what I believe our American cousins call the ‘Hush’

So I thought I’d continue the cheap project and crack on with my attempt at a low cost graphic save.
Just to re-cap, the Antaeus I picked up for about the price of a half decent round of drinks was in pretty good order accept for some very sorry looking graphics… pretty much everywhere the protective laminate over the printed foil base layer had either de-laminated or was damaged or had been picked off, leaving a dirty sticky mess….
The remains of the original protective layer were carefully removed and then remaining foil graphic was carefully cleaned with cotton buds and white spirit…
What remained was carefully re-painted with a suitably matching Humbrol silver (sorry I forgot to photograph this) Then I dispatched an e-mail to Gil, asking him to machine cut some new panels from his polycarb super thin top layer laminating material which he promptly did for the gentlemanly cost of a fiver! (I should point out I did supply him with the cut files)

This was easily applied with the help of warm water and a little fairy liquid so as to help push out any trapped air..

Although the hand painting isn’t 100% immaculate (I know I could have done better in my youth) I’m still pretty pleased with the result.

The only other option would be hours of artwork creation, then find a company to print the foil/silver, which I can’t imagine being cheap.

Right, best get on with the rest of the frame.... :xmas-wink:

Attachments

• Graphic save (3).jpg
    Graphic save (3).jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Graphic save (4).jpg
    Graphic save (4).jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 323
Re:

I’ve also been pushing out trapped air for the last few days.

Turkey Curry was last night.

Nice job.

Back