Specialized full sus old skool

What kinda post is that on the blue one? Looks like a ghostly apparition.

Well spotted Kaiser, it's a Titec Pyro Scooper... or something like that. Smaller diameter seatpost inside one of the original size, in this case 30.9. Allowing then for some height adjustment, without fouling the shock. Wish they made one years ago when i had my first FSR, which incidently was the bright orange one, instead i chopped the seatpost down to an acceptable level for the downs, but struggled on the flats and the hills.

Ahhh, another critique!!

Thats funny. I would like to know if you have ever taken a days ride on one of these as you will find its one of the best riding bikes out there. I find it hard to take criticism seriously when you own a bike that is held together with a thick bit of dental floss. After all the Slingshot was supposedly the first full suspension bike and was a complete joke in the cycling world. I can even recall MBUK taking one out and bring it back in several pieces.

I wont say the same for your retro Yeti as thats a nice bike and similar in ride style to my Pace. Dont listed to other people before you form your own judgement. ;)

On a seperate note i found you blog facinating, you have had some really interesting bikes. Shame it was only two pages, i could have read it for hours, keep up your good work, and it is good!!

ameybrook":4yu501tz said:
Pickle":4yu501tz said:
Just borrowing Mr K's FSR, but this (IIRC) is their oldest FSR design.....

yes and no ;)

Mr. K's [nice build] is a 95, at least four years after the FSR was designed.

The first FSRs were designed in 1991 by Mark DiNucci using the Horst patent, and were essentially Stumpjumpers with the rear ends hacked off, and FSR rear ends bolted on. One linkage bolt about a inch above the BB shell and one about three inches down from the top of the seat tube. As shown in the 93 S-works Catalog:

93FSR.jpg

R&D of this design proved disastrous, and in 93 they recalled the entire initial S-works initial run when they broke. They eventually figured out moving the linkage upwards to eliminate the problem:

94FSR.jpg

Keep going...

94SpecFSR_sworks.jpg

There!

The 96 Ground Control FSR was essentially the same linkage design with the shock moved closer to the seattube on the linkage. I think in 97 there was a model that eliminated the linkage all together and bolted the shock directly to the seatube :? [seen in previous posts, but this was a lower end model. The flagship FS bike was the Ground Control AIM, which began the dark years of Specialized FS bikes [IMO]. Anyone actively riding these should be ridiculed on this forum immediately:

Vomit:

thumb2_2.jpg

Puke:

thumb2.jpg

Barf.

98_specialized_fsr.jpg

Re: Ahhh, another critique!!

mazdaman1980":3b7m70ul said:
Thats funny. I would like to know if you have ever taken a days ride on one of these as you will find its one of the best riding bikes out there.

If the bike to which you are referring is the 93-95 FSR, then I wholeheartedly agree. Although it was heavy, the FSR was finely engineered and rode very stable for a full suspension bike of that generation. I test rode one in 94 [I think], and it was a bit weird, but I remember liking it.

Now as the later-90s, lower model FSR linkage bikes sucked.
But thats just my opinion of course ;)

Thanks for the kind comments on the blog. I'll keep it updated as soon as I build more bikes.

Sorry, old thread, but thought people might be interested in this shot of the FSR prototype with the bolt-on rear end:

3029287113_41e3a48506.jpg

Back