Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Cheers! I'm pretty chuffed with how it's shaping up.

I had a look at the rear brake caliper mounting situation, and while it would be possible to bodge a working set-up with the bits I have, it'd be much smarter with the proper part.

Benandemu - would you please be able to put me in touch with the chap you mentioned who may still have some of the correct disc adaptors? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:21 pm 
Dirt Disciple

If it's a chap going by the moniker Presky on this site, then I've already dropped him a line, having seen he had some available a while ago.

Only other issue to sort is the possible wonkiness of the rear drop-outs. It's not too bad but not quite perfect either. Problem is I don't know how and can't think of a good way to to measure this mis-alignment before diving in and trying to "correct" it.

It's just occurred to me that it's possible it's caused by a bent axle in the rear wheel (if I'm lucky!). Ho hum, will be something to keep me entertained this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Right, brake caliper adapter shortly to be sorted and on the way.

I had a little help from a very good friend indexing the gears this evening :)

Attachment:
Ratsaregoodatindexinggears.jpg
Ratsaregoodatindexinggears.jpg [ 95.05 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

Attachment:
LittleHelper.jpg
LittleHelper.jpg [ 66.23 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

Also ordered some thread locking compound for the pivot bearing bolts and shock mount bolts (never normally use the stuff, but since these ones can't be torqued up much it seems like a sensible precaution).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Tyke & I adjusted the derailleurs as best we could, but the shifting is not quite 100% perfect yet. The crankset looks like it's sitting a few mm outboard of where it should be, so there is a bit of an angle on the chain line in the largest rear sprockets.

Only tested this with the bike upside down on the floor so far, so it may not be an issue in practice. Worst case is a new BB is required with a shorter spindle.

I took off the rear mudguard as it was simply too offensive, and turned the front one inside out so it's a less intrusive plain black colour. Also used an old one inner tube to make a chainstay guard, and upped the pressure in the rear shock to around 165psi to give 20%ish sag.

The brake mount adaptor will take a while to get here so progress is currently stalled. A shame, would have loved to have finished this off over a rainy weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:31 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Here's how it's looking at the moment:

Attachment:
GettingThere.jpg
GettingThere.jpg [ 166.51 KiB | Viewed 37 times ]

The bottom bracket looks really high to me... but then again I'm not used to full sus bikes so I guess once its sagged it would look more like how I'd expect.

Here's a close-up of the chain stay guard made from an old inner tube. Have used this method on a couple of bikes and it works really well and looks OK (especially on a black frame).

Attachment:
ChainstayGuard.jpg
ChainstayGuard.jpg [ 224.38 KiB | Viewed 37 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've been fiddling around with the cockpit set-up a little. The bars are currently 630mm wide, which is really a little wider than I'd like for this build.

However, the oversize 31.8mm clamp area in the middle prevents the brakes & shifters from moving any further in towards the middle. I also like a bit of a gap between the grips and the brake clamp rather than having them jammed up against one another, so although there's room to move the grips & bar ends inwards by up to 18mm each, this would involve an ergonomics compromise I'm not keen on.

Attachment:
Cockpit.jpg
Cockpit.jpg [ 96.5 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

My other retro MTB (a rigid singlespeed '97 Marin Hawk Hill) has 580mm bars, which I really like, which is achieved through not having any shifters to take up bar space and having a thinner 25.4mm central clamp portion.

Guess I'll just have to take it on a few trails and see how I get on with it. I don't have a problem with wide bars per se (I run 720mm on my 2010 GT Avalanche and love them), but I do find long bar ends seem to work better with narrower bars.