Looking for 90s steel frame that will take wide tyres

hoppington

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I'm wondering if the knowledgeable people here may know which brand/model I should focus on if I'm looking for a 90s steel MTB which takes wider than usual tyres. Ideally 2.6" but realistically at least 2.35" front and back.

I want to build an 26" wheel, CroMo, derailleur (3x9), V-brake off-road tourer but would prefer to recycle a quality frame from the 1990s rather than a Surly Troll or similar.

Any ideas? It should also have braze-ons for racks and ideally mudguards too.

Thanks in advance

Michael

it's a little bit late, but my mate has 26x2.8 tyres on a vertical dropout 26er on one inbred

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks I'll start looking at On-Ones, I see there are quite a few on eBay etc.

I am after a 26" wheel so I guess that is the 456 model? They seem to have fittings for racks but not mudguards, and a variety of options for V-brakes or disks.

Re:

if it has fittings for racks, why doesn't it follow that it has fittings for mudguards - they use the same eyelets. Unless there's no chainstay bridge, but you could put a collar on the seat tube to accommodate the guard end

I mean that a touring bike normally has extra fittings for mudguards both at the dropouts and bridges on chainstay and seatstay

Back