HIGH ZOOT STEALTH new parts in

Re: Mysterious - SuperRare - Exotic! (Retrobike Premiere)

Yes it is!!! Well done B3 :twisted: :LOL: :cool:

High Zoot was my unicorn since february 1996 when i saw a review of yellow High Zoot STEALTH in a american Mountain Biker magazine and instantly fell in love.

It had all the ingredients:
Cool name and font, exotic material, credible claim of advanced aerospace technology, aura of something diferent - out of mainstream, sexy silhouette alla MC Moho or Mantis Flying V, but smoother and nicer.

Back then I lived in NYC, owned a yellow Cannondale F700 and was looking for some aftermarket components to pimp it out. Frame was out of my price range, so i had a plan to buy at least a seatpost to have a piece that High Zoot bling. I tried to prersuade guys in Sids Bike Shop to get me one, but unsucessfully.
There were just a few mentions of High Zoot stuff in a magazines before i left the US at the end of 97, So all that remained was that magazine with a review.
Stack of mags i brought with me back home, sat for 10 years untouched in my parents house attic until i discovered accidentally world of ebay and got lost in retro rabbit hole. Then i saw it again.

Attachments

• deztailHZ.jpg
    deztailHZ.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 602
  • 2page.jpg
    2page.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 601
  • dna3.jpg
    dna3.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 602
Re: Mysterious - SuperRare - Exotic!

CAPIN":3jiun8q4 said:
Funk is a good guess. It has similar diagonal dropout, but this is more exotic and rare. :cool:
Funk was a terrible guess, they have huge holes in the dropouts.

Re: Mysterious-SuperRare-Exotic bike REVEALED!

Yeah, i know their typical dropouts were with holes, but wasn sure if there wasnt some model without them and shape is quite similar.
I have to take few more pictures to post my bike with rest of the story :)

I just love old-school MTB action photography, such is the one above :cool:

For a couple years i remember googling High Zoot once in a while without much success.
There is a old thread in MTBR, then some mentions in mombat with a picture of that CONEJOs version of stealth and finally there is scanned artickl here in magazine section, but thats pretty much it.
I started loosing faith when one day google finally found me something new.
It was a High Zoot Stealth with some airbrush. Link took me to a american website dedicated to Chopper style bicycles.
One user posted a picture and was asking what to do with this bike of his which he called tweener. not vintage but not new anymore :).
He said he used to work in the company and the bike sat in his garage for years!
I registered in the site imediately and got in touch with him. Guy had worked for a few years in High Zoot and was actually making the frames! He wrote me a lot of interesting details about the company and gave me a good price so i bought the whole bike.
When bike arrived i was amazed. It was basically N E W! Tires still with rubber pimples on, brake pads without almost any wear. CD mavics sidewalls intact. Incredible.
As it turned out his garage had more than just a bike. He also found few more High Zoot components including NOS Seatpost and UBER-MEGA-RARE High Zoot/TNT Carbon Cranks !!!!

Frame itself is also special one.
Its custom airbrushed by guy who worked for the company. He worked under pseudonym “Monster” and must have been somehow known in the MTB scene back then, because couple years back Libor Karas was selling his gear on ebay and his airbrushed helmet had the same signature.
Frame has atypical decals. They are actually also factory ones but very rare type that were not used much.
All the other components are also basically NOS
including White Bros SC90, KING No logo headset, SDG kevlar seat, High Zoot bars/seatpost, TNT BB, TNT aluminium cranks with very rare TNT chainrings and bolts..

Enjoy some details of the frame (more pics and history coming :cool:
cheers
Jan

Attachments

• condition.jpg
    condition.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 462
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 461
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 460
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 460
  • telo.jpg
    telo.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 461
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 462
Re: HIGH ZOOT STEALTH mysterious/superrare/exotic

:cool: looks like a nicely finished paint job. I am suprised though that the decals werent painted also :?

Probably seen these but just incase...

Attachments

• z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 440
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 440
Re: HIGH ZOOT STEALTH mysterious/superrare/exotic

Great find, awesome frame, and im loving that paint job. Looking forward to seeing it all built up.

Back