Kona Hot 1997

Re: Kona Hot 1997 - 7th heaven

al-onestare":1w7qy1n2 said:
To your question Mark, the easiest and simplest description of what a custom Kona was is: a frame built in the US "by hand" with colour or colour scheme of your choice.

For the most part they were built in batches and you were able to "add" custom fixtures and fittings. You might remember the black and white Hot from 91/92 where the customer asked for (then out-dated technology) u-brake mounts and Yeti-style side top-tube routing.

Things get murky though. I was pretty sure custom Kona's weren't made to measure frames built especially for you to your exact specifications. Yet, according to this dealer price guide for the 1994 season, an extra 150 bucks would get you a custom size. (We can safely assume there were similar guides and options from 1990 through to 1998/99). Sorry for the poor lighting; it's October :(

Just been reading a couple of Hot threads on another forum where someone was asking what the C was stamped on his TET made Hot after the number. He recieved a reply from Tom who said the C stood for Custom and could mean either Geometry or Braze-ons.

Also someone else who claims to have worked in a shop were they recieved bare Explosif and Hot frames and painted them themselves. Even though i dont know how much truth is in this.

mark

Re:

Interesting stuff Mark. As far as I know, we have never seen an additional "C" stamp on a Hot serial number. It would be great to see a picture of this.

Along with Al's dealer price guide, it seems that there could be some custom geometry Hot frames out there. Some time ago, I recall Anthony being curious or even confused with regards to a Hot on here, and the irregular Top Tube measurement. He said something along the lines of perhaps it was a special build. I'll see if I can find it.

Pip

Re: Re:

pipmeister":1or8h12k said:
Interesting stuff Mark. As far as I know, we have never seen an additional "C" stamp on a Hot serial number. It would be great to see a picture of this.

Along with Al's dealer price guide, it seems that there could be some custom geometry Hot frames out there. Some time ago, I recall Anthony being curious or even confused with regards to a Hot on here, and the irregular Top Tube measurement. He said something along the lines of perhaps it was a special build. I'll see if I can find it.

Pip

That definitely rings a bell with me too. It didn't look like a Kona (or Brodie) at all.

mkone":1or8h12k said:
Came across this "red" Hot sold on here in 2012, seems the new owner is from this site also but no name.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=185856

mark

That's exactly the same one as I posted previously - SN incoming soon I hope. Apparently no-one has had the balls to build it up :LOL:

romanrinos":2myu9idc said:
Great to see an old price list with all the upgrade options. In the listing under custom paint, there is reference to ‘splash’ and a ‘camo’ which is interesting.

Perhaps the splash was solid bespoke colour? Anyone seen the camo in 94’?

Indeed, and what I love is that it was only an extra $35. To me that seems incredibly cheap compared with today even with inflation taken into account.

..surprised not walked into one! ;)

mkone":1oxolr5v said:
romanrinos":1oxolr5v said:
In the listing under custom paint, there is reference to ‘splash’ and a ‘camo’ which is interesting.

Anyone seen the camo in 94’?

:LOL: there are loads about, its just that they are really good paint jobs :!: :D

Re:

The weather is well and truly pants so attention turns from an amazing summer riding season, to the garage and this beauty. I got a fair bit done this weekend to the point of a rolling chassis. Three things to note:

1. The inner tubes will be swapped out for a matching pair
2. I need more rise in the stem so this will be swapped out for another ControlTech
3. Yes, the front skewer is the wrong way round ;)

Apologies for the crappy pic's. I was ducking in and out between downpours.

tQiPNG.jpg

3QHUGl.jpg

I've been hanging onto the NOS Smoke and Dart's especially and whilst they really are NOS, I've never seen so much release agent in my life! I was covered in the stuff but I'm thankful because they are super, super cool and on direct comparison, a better, slightly wider tread than the repro's that came out earlier this year. I always felt they were a bit on a skinny side and now I know for sure they are.

The rear mech I got was a punt. Listed on ebay correctly, it was caked in grime, in fact I'd say it's the filthiest mech I've had the pleasure of de-gunking. However, whilst the top half is great, the bottom is not. It's been replaced at some point with a nasty cheap black hanger and the rollars, whilst original, are toast. I had a different issue with the last one for the Team Explosif where I couldn't find a medium / long XTR M950 hanger and swapped over a M951, so I'm doing a similar thing here but with another M950 where the top half is crap but the bottom isn't. Our hobby... :LOL:

I'm yet to the convinced by the skewers and would like some ti to go with the brakes, levers and cassette but we'll see. Anyway, work in progress :)

Re: Kona Hot 1997 - rolling chassis P9

coming together nicely... thought we were going to see some pictures of filth at the bottom of your post.

:cool: The red of the forks works well with the frame.

The forks make the frame tubes look skinny, or vise-versa. Have you thought about running P2's on the bike? some red colour matched ones would look great :)

Its going to look awesome when finished especially stood next to your other bikes :cool:

mark

mkone":1qmgzvjh said:
:cool: The red of the forks works well with the frame.

The forks make the frame tubes look skinny, or vise-versa. Have you thought about running P2's on the bike? some red colour matched ones would look great :)

Its going to look awesome when finished especially stood next to your other bikes :cool:

mark

Cheers Mark.

You have seen my other bikes and my riding right ;) P2s aren't for me or for this bike, or really for this era.; by now proper forks were the order of the day. And don't get me started on modded re-sprays :LOL:

Latest posts

Back