Rust Removal Advice needed...

Sand_Dune

Devout Dirtbag
Trying to source a cheap LIQUID "reactant". The type you put in a small bath with your rusty bits. Cover and they come out gleaming 24-48 hours later...

Anyone had any expereince on this, if so what's the best and cheapest for the task.

Thanking you in advance

Sand_Dune

Re:

I have used Oxalic acid before for removing rust on components and also on my Jack Taylors rear rack.
It will convert remove the rust to bare metal and wont damage paint etc, though as I found if it is rusty under the paint, the it will react with the rust and leave a hollow in the paint. Great for components and I didn't use much at all, just a test run really.
You buy it in powder form and then add it to water. It needs to be used with caution and appropriate PPE as it is harmful stuff. It works by reacting with and removing the iron particles, problem is if you get this on your skin it will remove the iron from your red blood cells :shock:
Good stuff and for a chrome or nickel BMX you just put the whole bike in the bath.
Here is a set of ancient Christophe toe straps and cages that were well beyond it when they went in. This was after a couple of hours, quick rinse of water and allowed to dry in the open air and good to go.

Jamie

Before
DSC_1854 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1857 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

After
DSC_1885 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1886 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Where do you get the Oxalic acid from @Jamiedyer? I've used Kurust before which is very effective but is not great with chromed parts as it turns the bare metal black and leaves a purple residue.

One of the pound shops used to do a little tub of rust remover that I've also used which I wonder whether it was Oxalic acid. It was a clear blue liquid that left no residue so was fine to use with chrome but I ran out of that ages ago and haven't been able to get any more.

The Oxalic acid I got was just off of Ebay.
It does go black slightly if you leave it too long and can leave a milky residue but it just rinsed off. It sort of bubbles/oxidates as it works.

Jamie

Re:

look up Evaporust.
Depends on the item; I use oxalic acid, electrolysis or Evaporust.
For the oxalic acid, I mix up a more dilute mix and allow for it to work over a number of days.

All work well to convert the rust.

Re:

Just components...
fettler":whjljqgk said:
What parts are they? Are you hoping to preserve any existing coating?

Not bothered about the coating on this occasion.

Jamiedyer":whjljqgk said:
I have used Oxalic acid before for removing rust on components and also on my Jack Taylors rear rack.
It will convert remove the rust to bare metal and wont damage paint etc

Cheers guys

:)

Back